Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Slows Down the Longer It's On

• Please log in to reply

juturna

juturna

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is kind of complicated. About a year ago, I installed a wireless work with two other computers. To do that, I had to upgrade from 98FE to 98SE. My computer would crash if I kept on for more than about 6 hours or so (in many different ways but often with a blue screen), but I never got around to completely troubleshooting the problem. Then a couple weeks ago, I installed a new all-in-one printer and some software with it and ran out of room on my hard drive. After cleaning things up, the network adaptor software wouldn't run at all. After a week of dealing with Netgear tech support and getting nowhere, I finally reinstalled Windows 98SE a couple days ago. Then the software ran, but after about 10 minutes, the screen would stop responding properly and I would have to shut it down. Fed up with the whole thing, I installed a Linksys network adaptor which was on another computer. I thought everything was fine with this, but then discovered that the computer starts gradually slowing down after it has been on for awhile. The clock gradually gets slower and slow and the mouse takes a long time to respond (I will move it and it won't do anything and then suddenly it will jump to where I moved it to which makes it difficult to use because I won't know where it will end up). Eventually the keyboard takes a long time to respond to as well. I cleaned up some stuff that was running at startup, but it didn't take care of the problems. Currently my computer has been on for about 30 minutes and it seems fine, but this afternoon after about 3 hours, the clock was about 1/2 hour slow and the computer was pretty much unusable. I've never used one of these forums before though I've found them when I've searched the Internet before. I've reached the end of my ability to troubleshoot this so I thought I would try it out. I know a fair amount about the basics of fixing problems (way more than any of the tech support people at companies nowadays), but not enough to fix something like this. I just downloaded HijackThis and the log is attached. I have Spybot and Avast running in the background. I've also run AdAware and Panda to clean things up. I've also tried some of the other on-line virus scans in the past. They didn't find anything significant. I hope somebody can help me or it will be finally time to go and buy that new computer (this one is 7 years old).

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 13 July 2006 - 10:39 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi juturna...

Looks like you may have a malware infection.

Let's let the malware experts deal with this one.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1