Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd disk usage problem

• Please log in to reply

rddg

rddg

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello I have a so far baffling problem with a hard drive on a p2 system running
XP (plenty of ram) My mother has loaded her computer down with photos, so first
I tell her move them to the second hard drive.(loaded to her documents by default)
She informs me she has done so, I figure its as simple as she just copied them.
I go over their, and bring a cd-r drive, with cd's, to just clean everything up.
The os harddrive, 20 gigs, was chalk full, 500 mgs free, and no redundancy. Most
the photos where properly moved to the second drive. (10 gigs)
To make a long story.............
No partitions contain backups, only the last restore point is saved.(was installed from
disk) no partitions period. All directories on c drive add up to @4 gigs.
Virtual memory set at a minimum of 500 megs, recycle bin at 10%, viewing the
graphic for defrag showed it chalk full of data, very fragmented, but chalk full.
Selecting properties for c shows a full disk. Opening, selecting all directories at once
and properties shows a total of 4 gigs. Any ideas? Also pretty sure I ruled out disk failure
(again, no backup partitions. Just the two hard drives, and 15 gigs just gone)
Forgive any misshapen format here, i'm posting from lynx and havent a clue how this will
display. (just for kicks- couldnt burn anything onto cd from the other drive to
free up space-no space for virtual memory. heheh) Any ideas how to account for
her 15 gigs on the lam? thanks

Edited by rddg, 14 July 2006 - 12:00 AM.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I would start by looking into the Folder on the drive to see how large they are. Programs like Spybot S&D and MS Defender also create restore point in case you damage or delete needed file when cleaning your system.

rddg

rddg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for all the help. One final question. Maybe one of you braniaks can answer at least one for me- How do I delete my account? N/M I'm sure I can figure it out myself. Oh well I feel like a ungrateful jerk for not appreciating all the help I've never gotten. Yahoo answers has a leg up on yall in everything but malware removal for anything slightly more complex than how do I open my cd drive from bash. Probably because so far as I've seen a 12 year old kid who managed to get his new graphics card to work right is installed as the grand pubah of technowizardry. Oh, the malware- I solved it all for yall. 1). Dont download and install free crap. 2).Dont visit [bleep] sites. 3). Thats it. I have solved the entire purpose of this message board.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I am not sure the Admins delete accounts, but if you don't post to this board again I can assure you , you will not be contacted again. It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience. Whether your account is deleted or not, I feel it is safe to say you are welcome here anytime. In the future if Yahoo! or any other site fails to solve your computer problems please feel free to visit us.
Unless you wish to pay a monthly fee to an online business you will be receiving help from people like myself, volunteers who spend their time attempting to help others whether their efforts are appreciated or not.
I hope to see you, here, on the forum. Whether you believe it or not.

Good luck.

Edited by acklan, 15 July 2006 - 12:42 PM.

rddg

rddg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It was a broken pin on the ide plug.