Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet (MSN) barely working...

• Please log in to reply

rosiekins

rosiekins

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, everyone. I have been having major internet problems for the past week, and I have no idea what it could be. I'll get online, and no webpages will load. Instead, it acts like it's loading, but takes forever, and then shows the "this page could not be displayed" message, and this appears in the address bar: http://g.msn.com/1cl.....owforum%3D247

The thing is, this isn't constant. Sometimes, everything works fine (albeit slower than normal). Other times, things will work fine for awhile, but then crap out again. I'll log out, and try to open MSN again, but it won't open. When I push Ctrl-alt-del, in the processes section, MSN is still listed as running.

I have called MSN support, but they weren't much help. They had me do a bunch of stuff (delete internet files, cookies, history, reset defaults). When none of this helped, they suggested that my modem might need to be replaced, but I don't know if I agree with that.

I also suspected spyware, and downloaded spyware doctor, which detected five infections. I feel stupid now, because I spent $30 to register the product so that I could remove the spyware, hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn't. My Norton Anti-Virus is out of date, but I downloaded the latest PC tools virus scanner, and it didn't find any viruses.

Basically, I have no idea what is wrong. I am beyond frustrated. I'm wondering if I should uninstall MSN, and then reinstall it, or if I should replace my modem (I already replaced it once last year, when a thunder storm damaged it). But I was really, really hoping that someone could give me some advice. That maybe someone out there recognizes these symptoms. Because I'm clueless. So, any help would be very appreciated!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello and welcome to geekstogo,
I won't be much help with this problem i don't think, however i noticed one major problem when you where discribing you problem. you have two anti virus', thats a big no, no.
Uninstall one of them, if your noton has run out and your PC tools one is just a demo i'd suggest removing them both and installing AVG. This very well could solve your problem. If you do end up uninstalling norton please let me know and i can give you a tool to do it, it can be very problematic at times.
What do you have running for firewalls?
And i don't believe your modem has anything to do with whats going on here.
James

rosiekins

rosiekins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, thanks for your reply! I figured that having two anti-viruses at once was bad...I was hoping it wasn't a big deal, but I should have known better. Norton anti-virus seems to want more money out of me, so I would like to delete it, if this AVG is indeed better (and hopefully free, or at least cheaper?)

I've always been confused by firewalls, but according to the Windows Firewall tab, it's on, though several things are checked for the "make exceptions" section.

Thank you for your comments!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
double check that MSN is an exception, that ought to fix that problem.
Before we get to AVG (about as good as norton, free and doesn't slow your computer down quite as much as norton) we are going to ahve to remove norton. Please go to add remove programs and remove it from there. If you do not know how to please let me know. Also when your in add remove program remove PC tools anti virus scanner. Once th two are gone install AVG at the following URL. http://free.grisoft....e/lng/us/tpl/v5
thanx
James