Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED BIOS FLASH

• Please log in to reply

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:whistling: I need to flash BIOS on a Gateway PC. Socket A / K7 , It has a MS 6330 ver: 2.1 motherboard. I have found on MS site a 6330 but it is called "6330 lite" and another is called "6330 LE" . No EXACT "MS 6330 Ver: 2.1" stamped on mobo which appears to be OEM for Gateway. Gateway does not recognize the serial number that is 0023644003 Model : "ATXSTF OXN Select 1100". I also saw the motherboard being called "Oxnard" on the MS site. I need to flash for #1. dated year 2000, #2.read awhile back that they could go higher CPU,as long as I stayed with Anthlon "A" type. Had 1Ghz , recieved a 1.333 Anthlon today and put it in and everything works but it is only showing that it is a 1Ghz. Further research tonight has revealed that others had difficulty getting Flashes but were able to use up to anthlon 2600xp, whatever they are. I'll be happy with the 1.333 if I can get it to operate at that. I have also found the processor for this board being called K7T. I ruined Mobo last week, so matching is criticle, I think. I flashed a MS last month that was the easiest ever because you can do them "live" without shutting off. Is this one dedicated thru Gateway or is the "lite" and "LE" microstar's name for the same. I see part of "Oxnard" in part of the model number, the VER: 2.1 that is stamped on the mobo might be an exclusive number to Gateway. Others have done it, PLEASE HELP ME make it work! THANK YOU! :blink: :help:

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
i had a problem with a corrupted BIOS (more than one as a matter of fact) and eSupport were able to help. In my case the Gatewat I was working on smoked the CMOS and had to be replaced. Most would have concided a motherboard upgrade. That was not an option because the OEM windows disk would only work with a gateway computer. $50 and they mailed me a new chip. Call the 1-800 number and at least talk with them. Over the years I have bought 4 chips and doezen of BIOS flashes.

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
YES, I have dealt with esupport before. In the last year I have Flashed over a dozen, many types so they are always different. Four of them I bought from "esupport.com" . Some forums really put me down for paying for a flash that should have been free. But I started with esupport. I did finally find a flash exclusively from Gateway at 4:30 this morning Took several trys about 6:00AM this morning it WORKED by starting it with a boot image I had saved from esupport several months ago :) BUT!!!! NOW the problem is, that on Gateway's site , they said "THIS" flash would solve many problem including bigger hard drives, and "higher/faster CPUs" speciffically said 1.3Ghz and higher, elsewhere in my quest last night I read that others had gone as high as "anthlon 2400/2600 XP" also read it could handle all anthlon "type A", K7 and some "Duron" etc. I installed my new to me 1.333 AMD anthlon CPU and it only shows in bios as 1Ghz. There are no jumpers on the board. The BUS speed is greyed in BIOS "untouchable" I can not find anyway to get it to recognize properly. PLEASE HELP ME!!! Find a way to change the muliplier or clock speed. To make it CORRECT. Thank You!. :whistling: :blink: :help: Anywhere to find out would be good to.

Edited by crunch, 14 July 2006 - 11:01 AM.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Try Everest 1.51 or Belarc to verify that the speed is being properly reported. I had the same problem with a Dell. It showed 800mhzz in trh BIOS but Windows and Everest reported 1.4Ghz.

Everest Home 1.51
Belarc Diagnostic Tool