Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reformat

• Please log in to reply

shorty_27013

shorty_27013

• Pip
  • 4 posts
please help me i need to know how to reformat my dard drive im using windows xp home addition 2000,if any body could help me i would be thankfull, i need to know what to do after i git in to my file system im using NTFS and i got the start up disk please help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the XP CD, boot the PC and press the delete key right after the beep, look for boot order / priority and set it to CDROM then C. Put the XP CD in, press F10 key to save and exit then Y to confirm and it will reboot and start installing XP.

If you have not got the XP CD because XP was preloaded, you have to go the recovery partition route

shorty_27013

shorty_27013

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey kieth thank dude when i do that will it reformat itself erase everything.

shorty_27013

shorty_27013

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i got the xp disk.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When it reboot it goes press any key to load from CD, so do that, then it loads files, then it gets you to press F8 to agree to anything, then it inspects, then it says it's already on, press R to repair or esc to load without repairing, so press esc, then it says there is only one partition, press D to delete, then it says, are you sur, press enter, then it says, press L to confirm, then it says format NTFS quick press enter, go for that, or treat your disc to the all dancing slow format which takes a minute per GB, after the format it reboots, then ignore the press any key to boot from CD and let it load, you need the CD Key and you will need to change the keyboard settings during install.