Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Me wireless network

• Please log in to reply

Aelborn

Aelborn

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
A friend has two computers and wants the second one connected by a wireless device. I got the software for the device installed. It is showing a connection to the router (which does have wireless capability). I can ping form the second computer to the first computer. I can ping from the first computer to the second. I can ping the router but I can't ping something like www.microsoft.com.

The first computer is running Windows XP. SBC Yahoo (now ATT) is the DSL provider. The router is a 2wire gateway. The two computers are using private IP addresses behind the router. Accessing the router's configuration web page, it sees both computers.

I visited a web site on the XP computer and found out the IP address that it sees the computer as. I can ping that address from the Me machine. I pinged some other addresses from that same range.

I am not very familiar with Me so I am probably missing something here. Any ideas as to what I need to look for?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
um...what exactly are we trying to achieve? a local network (workgroup?) for file sharing and what not?

do both computers have internet access when connected to the router?

you were descriptive of what you've done (which is good) but no descritpion of what's really gone wrong...or what you're wanting to accomplish

Aelborn

Aelborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
He is wanting internet access from the Me computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and doesn't have it?

describe the full physical set up (all hardware makes and models please)

Aelborn

Aelborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The XP computer is a Dell 2.4 Ghz with 1 GB dram. It is connected directly to the router via USB cable.

The Me computer is a Compaq 500 Mhz and 340 Mb dram ( or thereabouts). There is no direct connection for it. He has a Hawking wireless adapter that I am attempting to access the internet through.

The internet connection is SBC Yahooo DSL with an X2 router.

Unfortunately, I am not in front of the equipment so that I can be more specific.