Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Crashing...

• Please log in to reply

LordDragonclaw

LordDragonclaw

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well it all happened yesterday. Wednesday night windows wanted me to install new updates so of course I did. Yesterday morning after a while the computer crashed. I thought nothing of it until 15 minutes later it did it again. I ran every virus and spyware scan software I had (Spy sweeper, and trend micro PC Cillin) It didnt crash any more that day until the night. I shut it off for the rest of the night and this morning it started crashing again in about 10 minutes space 3 times in a row. I did a system restore to the day before it started crashing and then windows wanted me to install updates. I manually installed them then restarted at the prompt and BOOM it crashed about 10 minutes later. I finally googled the problem and found this forum. I really dont know what to do and I wasnt running any games or anything when it crashed just browsing websites so I dont know what it could be. Also about 2 weeks ago I had to format because my computer would not start up right and was just messed up. My specs:

Gateway 700GR
Pentuim 4 processer 550 with hyper threading
3.40 GHz
ATI RADEON X700 with PCI express and 256 MB
1 gig of ram
250 GB HD

I also have another problem, I recently after the format installed Ad-Aware but now after the crashes it gets to a bit over 2500 scanned files then freezes.

Edited by LordDragonclaw, 14 July 2006 - 07:22 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Rather than update on release tuesday, wait a bit for the revisions to emerge

These are the recent revisions

The following bulletins have undergone a minor revision increment.
Please see the appropriate bulletin for more details.

* MS06-039
* MS06-038
* MS06-037
* MS06-035
* MS06-034
* MS06-027
http://www.microsoft...n/ms06-039.mspx

http://www.microsoft...n/ms06-038.mspx

http://www.microsoft...n/ms06-037.mspx

http://www.microsoft...n/ms06-035.mspx

http://www.microsoft...n/ms06-034.mspx

http://www.microsoft...n/ms06-027.mspx

Use system restore then update with these, maybe singly then run the PC for a bit to see which causes it to crash

When you have them all on, check with Micrososoft Update for any others

LordDragonclaw

LordDragonclaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hmm before I saw this I did another system restore and had to reinstall my graphics card software. Everything seems to be working fine so perhaps Id better wait about a week before installing the windows updates so by then they may have fixed any issues with them.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Could be a good move

LordDragonclaw

LordDragonclaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Seemingly this only worked for a few days. It forced the update because I accidentally had automatic updates on and not on the ask me to install option so I had to system restore again, reinstall spy sweeper, and my ATI Radeon software. I didnt install the windows updates but its still crashing with the blue screen. Im installing them anyway to see if perhaps that will stop the crashes. I really dont know what to do about this stupid crashing. Also I noticed something interesting, it NEVER crashes if Im playing Battlefield 2 (the only game I play) It only seems to crash if Im browsing the internet or if Im on the desktop.

Edited by LordDragonclaw, 16 July 2006 - 03:35 PM.

LordDragonclaw

LordDragonclaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I hope im not breaking any forum rules by bumping this but I really really really need help here. I didnt understand what you meant by the bulletin reversion thing as none of those looked like the updates I installed from windows update.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Those are the revised version of what were originally released on microsoft update

LordDragonclaw

LordDragonclaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I see but why do they say "Microsoft Office" on them should I get those even though I dont have microsoft office? Im quite confused here. I have everything backed up so should I do a format? Perhaps that will fix it? Also on the blue screen near the top theres a message, "DRIVER_IRLQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" what does that mean?

Edited by LordDragonclaw, 18 July 2006 - 05:58 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No need to get the Office ones, it was a list to show how if you install on update tuesday, you can still end up back there on wednesday, thursday and friday

And even beyond that

http://www.microsoft...ory/922970.mspx

If you run through this, things will be improved, though it takes a while

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

LordDragonclaw

LordDragonclaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ill run through this later as I have a few things to do for a few hours. I dont have an XP CD and I dont know anyone who does. All I have is the restore disk that came with the computer and it only has the wipe computer option on it.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can still run sfc /scannow to see if it asks for the disc, click skip but if it keeps asking, click cancel, that determines missing system files, post 9 is optional if you have no objection to starting over, however, as you can do most of it without a CD, it is worth looking at

LordDragonclaw

LordDragonclaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Im going to try it before I format. Perhaps I wont have to format at all. What I dont understand is the blue screen of death error saying "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" does that have something to do with my graphics card not being installed right because every time I system restore I have to reinstall my graphics card software because it gets corrupted.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See how it is after tune up etc

If you do a system restore and re-install the graphics card, set a restore point then, you should be able to go back to that if needed

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Many motherboards have an integrated monitor connection. If you have one, connect the monitor to this connection and disable in device manager the driver for the ATI Radeon. Remove physically the ATI card. Check if the problem is still there.

LordDragonclaw

LordDragonclaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for all the help but since the tune up stuff didnt help any and I cant disconnect a video card because I dont know how I formatted. Everythings fine so far.