Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installed mcafee security suite on win98, now windows doesnt start!

• Please log in to reply

chunkmcfunk

chunkmcfunk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
HI,

installed mcafee security suite on a windows 98 machine as Norton is XP only. The machine is on an office network so you need to log in with a username/password

its installed fine and asked me to restart the machine.

now when windows starts and asks you to log in, the pc just hangs, with the egg timer just showing.

its an HP machine and shows the following error message.

"HP remote DMI agent for TCP/IP is already running and could not run a second instance"

i cant log in, even in safe mode so i cant uninstall mcafee.

can anybody help?

please, im desperate!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi chunkmcfunk...

Let's see if we can roll back the registry.

If you have another Win98 machine available, create a Startup diskette. To do this, click Start, then Settings, then open Control Panel, double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon, and click Startup Disk and create disk. Alternatively, you can download this Win98SE Startup disk, save the file to the desktop, double click the downloaded file, and put a floppy in the drive when prompted to do so.

Start the machine with the Startup disk in the floppy drive...it should boot to the floppy. At the options screen, press Shift + F5 for command prompt. At the command prompt (A:\), type c:\windows\command\scanreg /restore (note the space after scanreg) and press "Enter".

You will be presented with a list of files...select the second one down in the list using the arrow keys and press "Enter". Remove the floppy disk from the drive once this completes and the machine should boot normally.

Remove the McAfee and look at getting different security software. There are a number of free ones available HERE that are very adequate. I know that Avast! Anit-Virus and the Sygate Firewall will both run on Win98 very well and are effective.

Let me know if you run into any problems with this...

wannabe1