Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer for graphic designing?

• Please log in to reply

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Hello, I'm Matt. I'm basically looking for a computer that is very well for graphic designing, and I will be using it for my personal use as well.

I'm looking for it to flow very well with Photoshop CS2, Flash, and many other graphic designing programs. I'm also looking for it to browse the web pretty fluently as well, and it wouldn't hurt if I could play Halo PC on it because if I ever get bored with doing some work, or if I need a break, I can just turn to my favorite PC game (which is Halo PC).

I'm guessing I'll be needing a hard drive that's around 125GB or so? I need it to hold iPod songs as well.

I'm also looking for the monitor to be pretty big, not the small ones. (Because I like my desktop icons small as well) :whistling:
Anyways... can someone please 'build' me a COMPLETE set for computers including the hard drive, the graphics card, the monitor, etc. And if I can get an approximate price for it, that would be pretty good too. I've read that newegg.com was the place to shop, so... yeah.

Thanks.

:blink:

-Matt

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Hi Matt. Welcome to Geekstogo! :whistling:

Are you thinking of buying a prebuilt computer or buying the parts and build it yourself?
Have you thought about getting a mac? Newegg is a good place to shop but it's not the only online store so take a look around on other sites.

Edited by emery, 14 July 2006 - 01:54 PM.

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I've heard that Mac sorta stinks, and I'm more used to the Windows version of the shortcuts for Photoshop and Imageready.

If I must buy a pre-made computer, then I will. But I'm looking for the best kind of computer for me and my personal suiting.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Mac stinks if you think it stinks and have never tried it. Go to a store near you and check them out.

But it sounds like you're already used to the CS2 interface for windows.
If you're going to build a system yourself, you'll definitely need a good video card that can handle all your graphics. I can't really tell you much more about what to get for a new machine. I'm not that up to date on new hardware. Some members here will be happy to tell you what would suit you best.

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Thanks for some insight, emery.

Can anyone please 'build' me a computer, and list me all the parts and where I can find them online? (with an approximate overall cost)

Thanks.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thanks for some insight, emery.

Can anyone please 'build' me a computer, and list me all the parts and where I can find them online? (with an approximate overall cost)

Thanks.

Well you need to tell us for shure if your confident in building your own pc or not.

A custom build pc build by your own self might not be a good idea unless you know that you can do it.

Yeah newegg.com is the best place to shop for building the pc yourself that is.

If you want to goto a website that you can customize and select which parts you want and they put everything together for you then check out http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Direct link to the amd am2 systems to choose from and then start customizing.
http://www.cyberpowe...am2/default.asp

You need to stick with the Am2 processor if you buy the pc "NOW" am2 is the newer processor socket by amd.

If you want till the 24th of this month to next month then buy a pc with an Intel CONROE processor in it.

Intel conroe is intels new chip that is totally redesigned and the 2.67 ghz for around $530 dollars and the 2.40ghz around $315 dollars outperforms even AMD's top end dual core chips called the amd fx-60 and fx-62.

Both of the intel conroe I listed above has 4mb cache and the 2.67 ghz conroe is going to be less than 1/2 of the price of the top end amd fx-62 chip would be and the 2.40 ghz conroe would be about 1/4 of the price.

Even the 2.40 ghz conroe chip beats the amd fx-62 at almost all tests even Gaming.

If I were in your situation I would wait for the Intel Conroe processors they are just more power for less money, its the better price to performance ratio.

The intel chips I talked about above are dual core which is good. :whistling:

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Thanks. I'm not going to put it together, my brother knows how to do that, and I'll ask him to put it together for me. He'll probably demand some money, but oh well...

And so I don't need to get confused, can you fill this out? This is what I'm talking about when I say specify.

Matt needs a...
Mouse:
RAM:
Keyboard:
Hard Drive:
Monitor:
ROM Drive:
Processor Fan:
Power Supply:
Graphics Card:
Motherboard:
Case:
Headphones:

The mouse is taken care of. I'm getting a Logitech MX518, unless someone can convince me not to, and you don't need to fill everything in, if there are blank spots, then I'll just go ask in another forum for advice on what to get in that section.

:whistling: