Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have no sound...

• Please log in to reply

CaveKaba

CaveKaba

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Please help! D:

Here's my problem. I'm getting NO sound. My speakers are on, and they are turned up to a reasonable volume, but nothing is coming out. I first encountered this problem when I tried to listen to my music on Window's Media Player. I got an error that said "Cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding." I was confused, so I went to the volume controls to make sure everything wasn't muted. I got this message "There are no active mixer devices available."

Okay, well, there were so many things that happened earlier that day, I just don't know what caused my problem... First, that was the day I switched from dial-up to Satellite internet connection. So while the guy was hooking up the satellite, he came around to all the computers in the house and installed the antenna.. The antenna goes where a sound card would normally go, so he could have removed mine. But I swear I did not have a sound card.. I don't remember ever buying one.... And I can't find it lying around anywhere, so if I did have one, he took it -_o

Because I now have Satellite, I no longer need AOL, so I removed it from my computer since it took up so much space. I don't think removing AOL could have caused it.. But you never know.

And last, I had to move my computer to a better location in my room so that it could get a strong enough signal to go online.. I had to remove all the wires in the back and then set them all up again. I'm not a computer expert, so.. Umm.. I might have stuck the speakers into the wrong port. But I'm guessing the green plug of the speakers goes into the green outlet.. But I could be wrong.

So, yeah, I've lived with no sound for months now, and I'm going crazy. I don't have a CD player, I don't have an IPod.. All I have is my computer, and without it, I'm music-less. PLEASE HELP :whistling:

Oh, and I don't get ANY sound.. Not even the little warning bleeps a normal computer should give. Don't they usually give those sounds without a sound card?

And, I've already reinstalled the OS, and that didn't help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on "my computer" > choose manage > device manager > do you see any yellow ? or !
can you find your sound card in the list of devices?

CaveKaba

CaveKaba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, I did that. There is a yellow "?" for "other devices." And under that is only my printer...

I clicked on "Sound, video and game controllers", and under that there was a list containing "Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device, and Video Codecs" I clicked on each, and their statuses are "This device is working properly." However the location is unknown for each of them except Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device.. I have no idea if that's significant... >.>

And I can't find my sound card.. At least I don't think I can.

But here is something interesting! I clicked on "System Devices" and then on "System Speaker". The location is "on Intel® 82801BA LPC Interface Controller - 2440" and the status is "No drivers are installed for this device."

Is that important?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-install the soundcard drivers

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for multimedia / audio adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

CaveKaba

CaveKaba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, I downloaded the everest home edition, and I went to Computer then to summary... Under multimedia is this:

"Audio Adapter Modem #0 Line Playback"

What does that mean? :whistling:

I clicked on it... And it brought me here:

"wave-out.0 0001 0051 Modem #0 Line Playback"

I clicked on that, and it brought me to "Sounds and Audio Device Properties" I switched sound scheme to window's default, and now I'm finally getting the bleeps and bloops of a normal computer, but I still can't get my music....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel, sounds and speech, sounds and audio, on the audio tab, what has it got for playback

CaveKaba

CaveKaba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
"Modem #0 Line Playback" Same as before

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No drop down arrow at the side of it?

CaveKaba

CaveKaba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, there is, but it doesn't give me any other choices.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key (possibly F2) until it enters set up, look through the screens for onboard audio

Different motherboards have different set up options so it could take a while, usually the left / right arrows take you from screen to screen and the page up page down keys let you highlight the option you want

Check if onboard audio is enabled

To save any changes, prss F10, type Y to confirm and press enter to reboot

Make a note of anything you change so you can reverse it if needed

CaveKaba

CaveKaba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, delete and F2 did nothing, but I tried holding down F1 and that took me to the "BIOS Setup Utility" Is that where I'm suppose to be? I skimmed through it, and I'm not sure where the onboard audio would be @.@

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's the place to look, unlikely to be on the main screen, could be chipset options