Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How To Go From Windows 2000 to Windows 98 SE

• Please log in to reply

Moosety

Moosety

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was wondering, how can I go from Windows 2000 to Windows 1998? My network is not working between my two computers, so i decided to downgrade to Windows 98 SE, cause it seems Windows 2000 and Xp don't work on a network. Now the real question and concern is, how do I install Windows 98 SE on top of Windows 2000 using the MS DOS comand prompt as there is no other way of installing 98 on top of 2000 due to the NT settings. Thank you!

--Moose

Edited by Moosety, 15 July 2006 - 12:27 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
2000 and xp will network,
what makes you think they won't

Moosety

Moosety

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
You're right Peterm.

Well let me outline my problems. First of all my Windows 2000 computer connects to the internet and has a modem. I've tried to make my XP computer connect through this 2000 computer to the internet. So my 2000 computer serves as gateway, but as much as I try I haven't been able to do so. Now I set up the network, and when I did so on my XP computer I made a network diskette so I could install it on my 2000 computer and when I try it says this:

"The Network Setup Wizard is supported only on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows Millennium Eidtion, and Windows XP. Instructions for configuring a network for other operating systems can be found in the help files in those systems."

Peterm just help me make this dang network work please! :'( Thanks dude.

--Moose :whistling:

Edited by Moosety, 15 July 2006 - 12:39 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
how are you trying to network the computers through a cable, hub/switch?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I was wondering, how can I go from Windows 2000 to Windows 1998? My network is not working between my two computers, so i decided to downgrade to Windows 98 SE, cause it seems Windows 2000 and Xp don't work on a network. Now the real question and concern is, how do I install Windows 98 SE on top of Windows 2000 using the MS DOS comand prompt as there is no other way of installing 98 on top of 2000 due to the NT settings.

You wipe the drive is the simple solution to that. There is no other way to do it.

Well, one could use Virtual PC I suppose, but I don't think that's the solution you're looking for.

The easiest solution is to use a broadband router, then it doesn't matter what version of Windows is installed on any computer as they will all be able to talk to a router as soon as they are installed (and have working network ports/adaptors, that is). All you do is plug some network cable from the Win2K machine into the router, some cable from the XP machine into the router, feed the router your ISP username and password, wait for some lights to stop flashing and there you go. Also, if you decide later on you want to add a new machine and/or a laptop, just plug it in.