Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop 0x0000009c

• Please log in to reply

sallen

sallen

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

My system has been crahsing a lot recently - normally what happens is my mouse pointer won't move and my keyboard won't respond and I have to restart. This tends to be when be when I am on the Internet but the odd time it has happened in Office as well.

Today I got a blue screen as well with the error stop 0x0000009c.

Can anyone proved me with any solutions to this?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Advertisements

Crater

Crater

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Are you overclocking your CPU?

K you left :-p

If you're overclocking your CPU, it might be too high. Try lowering it down some. Also check the BIOS temp readings, might be getting too hot which maybe be because of the ^^^ overclocking :-p. If you installed something like a vid card. Or maybe RAM. Try taking that out and rebooting to see how that works. Might be a hardware malfunction.

Lemme know if that doesnt help.

Edited by Crater, 15 July 2006 - 06:57 AM.

sallen

sallen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I'm not overclocking... how do I check the BIOS tempertaure readings?
I installed new RAM in January cos my old RAM had errors and a new vid card last year.

Thanks

Crater

Crater

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Kk to check the bios temp settings, restart the computer and when you see the first screen come up hit delete (should be) to bring up the setup. Then I cant remember which one of the things its in :/ But look through all the options there for a CPU core temp. I think its under like system specs or bios system readings? Something along those lines. If its under like... 60degrees It should be ok. Have you installed ANY new hardware?

sallen

sallen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I found current cpu temp n it was 43 degrees. I haven't installed any hardware except th ram and vid card metioned ^^.

Thanks for you help

Crater

Crater

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hmm okay, I was reading some of your other posts btw, seems you've been having alot of stop: errors? Like.. since May? I would definately say that something is failing. Most likely IS failing and hasnt failed completely yet. This may be completely wrong.... lol.. But how often do the crashes happen?

BTW that cpu temp is fiinneee :-p

Doh and what kind of problems did your old RAM have? This same kind?

Edited by Crater, 15 July 2006 - 07:26 AM.

sallen

sallen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yeah, I was having problems last year, adware/spyware, my vid card, but I got an Nvidia instead of the ATI Radeon then my RAM broke so I replaced ... I think I joined Septemebr last year, but I can remember.

My old RAM had thousands of errors when I tested it using mem test (I think it was that).

Basically, I've had frequent crahses since about a month ago... sometime days it crashes then it's OK, others days it doesn't.

Can you suggest anything else that I can do?

Thanks for your continued help.

Crater

Crater

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hmm hmm hmm.. Curious indeed. Well a Stop: 0x0000009c. Error shows that there is some kind of hardware malfunction detected by the Intel CPU and Windows NT which I assume you're using.. Most likely its some kind of memory leak though. Which would lead me to the RAM. However, you recentely? replace the RAM. So depending on how old the M/B is it might be those slots that are failing. But thats expensive, so hold replacing THAT until very very very last lol. I'll look around some online real quick and see what the scoop is on fixing that. Ill post here in a few minutes with what I can find :whistling:

sallen

sallen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Some extra info re: your last post if it helps ...

I'm running Windowx XP Service Pack 2
My m/b is just under 2 years old

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can download speedfan and run it anytime you want to check temps. Other good points is that speedfan will tell you what your PS voltages are and can control the speed of your fans if they are too loud. If your temp for the CPU are running at 60° at idle you have a problem. Intel P4 high temp range is 66 to 78°C while the AMD temp is 90°. The good thing about the intel P4's is that they will reduce speed to almost 0 when temps are running high saving the cpu from burning up. AMD's will burn up quickly when they go above 90°. My AMD 2400 runs ar 43° while my intel 3.0 prescott runs at 41°, both with stock fans. I have a cedermills intel 3.0 with a thermotake blue orb heatsink that runs ar 36° constantly.

A 0000009c error is a IRQL(Interrupt Request Level) error. Heres a webpage that is kinda technical about IRQL's.

http://ext2fsd.sourc...uments/irql.htm

Crater is on the correct method to find out what the problems is. You need to try out some different things to find where the problem is. Anything you have recently installed is suspect. Drivers, software, even hardware such as a new mouse or keyboard can cause problems.

SRX660

Advertisements

Crater

Crater

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Wow that site is wicked sick lol. Ok. I found a site where apparently someone had a trojan which may or may not have disabled a needed windows file, causing this error. Have you removed any virus's lately? If not, the only REAL thing that I can think of, is try out different hardware pieces you have lying around. I'd start by tearing out everything cept the barebones (m/b, cpu, vid card, 1 stick of ram, and the hd and stuff) and see where that gets you first. If it still crashes with the minimum hardware, then its got to be one of them. Does the m/b have an onboard video card?

sallen

sallen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I installed Norton Internet Security 2006 in April.

oh and sorry for forgetting about this before Crater ... I changed my mouse recently. I was using a wireless mouse but acid leaked out of the batteries when I was on holiday so I'm using a PS2 mouse now. I have a USB mouse which I can try instead.

Thanks

P.S. Crater I'm really sorry if I've been wasting your time by forgetting to tell you about the mouse.

Crater

Crater

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
LOL its NO PROBLEM!!! This is kinda fun, I just signed up today lol. K well I would suggest first thing checking that mouse, as thats the easiest.

sallen

sallen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Apologies if this sounds silly, but I have a USB hub and I've always connected my broadband modem through it (*) rather than directly to the PC could this cause any problems?

Should I connect the mouse to a port at the back of the PC or through the hub or does it not matter??

Thanks again

(*) My old Windows 98 system used to crash at boot up if I left the modem connected in the back, but it was always fine through the hub

Crater

Crater

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I dont think that would cause any problems. Might be something to check though. :-p Checking EVERYTHING is the key.. before replacement.