Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC vs. MAC & Alienware

• Please log in to reply

CatMeow

CatMeow

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I need to buy a new computer for college, and I don't know what the best choice would be. What are the main differences between the PC and MAC, and which would be best for me? Does Alienware beat out either one?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A PC and a MAC are essentially the same the only difference si really the operating system a PC you can put pretty much anything on apart from OSX(mac OS) Macs are limited to there own OS although people have done alot of great work getting windows to run on them now macs use the same hardware as PCs.

Anyone can build a PC and you can get them anywhere, Macs are more exclusive and generally expensive you can only buy them from apple or a couple of select retailers you cant build them yourself like a PC and other companies cant build them because apple wont sell the OS seperate as otherwise they wouldnt sell half as many Macs systems.

Alienware is just a brand of computer builder nothing really special apart from the distincitve look of the things even that is often emulated by other companies and case makers.

What suits best is more of a personal desicion it comes to what kind of system do you need and what can you find/build that would fit the task.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I would recommend checking with your school to find out if they have specific requirements or recommendations - this can influence the decision as well.

Good luck with college :whistling:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
It depends on what YOU like more. Mac is getting more and more compatible with pc.
like Sari said: check with your college. Some schools will not accept mac, some won't accept pc.

Check with your school and if you still have a hard time deciding, come back to this forum and we'll be here to help you.

Have fun in college. :whistling:

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
My big question is what are you going to school for, there are some things that Macs are just better for, and the same goes for PCs.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The macs are better at some things is no longer factual, hardware wise the old macs with powerPC chips actually did have an advatage in some areas but now the hardware is identical there is no direct advantage.

After that it comes down to software and the mac has no software thats unique there is equivalents in all other popular OSs that do the job just as well if not better, even though they dont look as good as the mac apps do sometimes.

CatMeow

CatMeow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
THANK YOU!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• kero_07.gif

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Alienware sells good, pre-made computers for gaming and such. Mac's a bit under-rated when it comes to surfing the web, and I think their skins are nice. Windows is just the simple best though; overall though.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, before you splash out for a laptop computer I would just buy a USB key because you will find carrying around a laptop is quite heavy, accident inviting(knocking it, spilling coffee, dropping it, etc.,) and dangerous(getting mugged). So here in Geneva most people get by by using their desktop(cheaper than a laptop) at home, carrying the USB key school where they plug it in the school comp.

Now if it is your parents, I suggest saying to them after you have checked the requirement of the school as suggested here, that the price of a mp3 music playing USB key(something like but not as stupid as an ipod which I feel is overpriced besides having rut'software) together with a desktop(medium range for games, games, games!!!) will all work out cheaper than a laptop PC and far more cheaper than a mac.

Good luck then.

CatMeow

CatMeow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
MAC's are very different from PC's... I'm slightly lost :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Have you been using a PC, you will find mac quite different and a lot to learn.