Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM trouble

• Please log in to reply

gamermaimer

gamermaimer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi everybody,

My I just installed 2GB of PC3200 RAM ( 2 x 1GB ). But when I right click My Computer & go to properties to check my system specs I see only 1.49GB of RAM whereas, I have 2GB. Other thing I noticed was the PC was working somewhat wierdly, like the loading times of games had actually increased and during gameplay I experienced stuttering. Though, things like startup time had decreased. In order to check and see both modules were error free ran Microsoft's free memory check utility.No errors. Then I tried removing one of the modules and rebooted. The wierd problems disappeared and windows detected the whole 1 GB of RAM.Tried the same with the other module, same results. Wierd right ? :whistling: Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
It could be your motherboard doesn't support more than 1.5 GB. Have you checked your mobo manual to see what the max amount of RAM is and what type of memory it needs?

gamermaimer

gamermaimer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
My motherboard fully supports 2GB of RAM (2x1 GB setting)

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Motherboard manufacturers post recommended brands of Ram to use.It may be that the brand you have may not be recommended.This usually applies to low end budget or generic ram.

You could also check for latest bios update from Mobo manufacturer

The performance improvement from 1gb to 2 gb of ram is in the order of 17%-20%.

gamermaimer

gamermaimer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the help.