Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window's not running properly, programs won't run

• Please log in to reply

jahelp

jahelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, they are the same as the ones you have listed.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...can you boot into "Safe Mode with Networking" so we can see how it runs on a minimum set of drivers and still communicate and, perhaps, download a couple of scripts?

jahelp

jahelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay I just attempted to enter into Safe Mode with Networking and my computer screen was flooded with prompts, specifically:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition\WINDOWS

most of them, but not all, were then followed with \System32 and a variety of file types.

I am keeping it on this screen in hopes it will still load, but is this normal?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...that's normal.

It sometimes take a bit to load to windows...if it doesn't, make note of the last file in the list and post it here for me.

jahelp

jahelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay I got into safe mode but all I got was a black screen with the words Safe Mode in every corner and the Windows User Pack version in the top center of the screen.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Man...this thing just flat doesn't want to fix, does it? :whistling:

Boot back to Normal Mode, open Task Manager/New Task, type cmd and click "Ok".

In the command window that results, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press "Enter".

Does System Restore open?

Edited by wannabe1, 17 July 2006 - 10:07 PM.

jahelp

jahelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I actually was able to run a System Restore from Safe Mode. Nothing appears to have changed, unfortunately.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you can, download the attached file and save it to your desktop. Double click to extract the file. Double click on the extracted file and answer yes to merge it with the registry. Reboot.

Any change?

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 17 July 2006 - 10:26 PM.

jahelp

jahelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Unfortunately I cannot run Internet Explorer, or any program, for that matter, so I cannot access the file. If I try to run a program it just stops responding and the computer locks up.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the XP installation cd?

Advertisements

jahelp

jahelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I looked all over the XP CD but unfortunately I couldn't find it. Hopefully someone didn't toss it out...

I WAS able to get online in safemode, however, and I did download that file you put up a few posts ago. I ran it and merged it into the registry. Nothing changed when I rebooted back into normal mode.

I really think I am going to take a sledgehammer to this computer.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Would you post me a HiJackThis log so I can take a look ath the processes running on your machine? Please attach the log rather than post it, though...we don't normally want them in this Forum, but I need to start looking at the inner workings of this problem...that's a good place to start.

There's a tutorial for creating and posting an HJT log HERE (step 5), but attach it here to you next reply.

Edited by wannabe1, 18 July 2006 - 08:59 PM.

jahelp

jahelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I attached my hijackthis log. Sorry for the delay - been putting in some long hours at the office. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files

jahelp

jahelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Forget the log, I FINALLY got it working! Guess I ran enough anti-Trojan programs to kill a whole herd of horses. Thanks a ton for the help wannabe1, I'd buy you beers for a whole night if I could!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's great!

I don't know what color horses you corralled, but I saw some critters in the log you might want to have checked. Just to be on the safe side, why not post an HJT log in the malware forum and let the experts have a look...they like to see a clean log once in a while, too. :whistling:

Glad your machine is running again...I knew there had to be something interfering with us...