Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive C Wiped Out

• Please log in to reply

computernewbie

computernewbie

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I had a pop up say I had a virus on my computer. I ran Norton,Ad-Aware, and Spybot and the results were the pop-up WAS the virus..... I deleted it....but it kept coming back after I rebooted my computer...today drive was wiped out....It said NO OS...The problem is it's on my laptop, and I don't know how to put a OS on a computer with a floppy drive( obviously a laptop doesn't have that) All I have is a Windows XP Service pack 2 disk for reinstallation..... The laptop is Dell 1200 if that helps......

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not Cool!

Put the cd you have in the drive and turn the machine off. Power it back on and let it boot to the cd. Do NOT do the recovery operation if it tries...there should be other options on the cd. Once it has booted, let me know what screen you see.

wannabe1

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
It gives me the option to install windows and then it comes to what drive to install it on.....I picked C and it said it needed to be formatted and it could do it from setup....haven't gone any futher...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...that would indicate that the partition has been corrupted. You didn't happen to catch the name of that virus, did you?

Unfortunately, it looks like your only choice here is to go ahead and format. Then it will reinstall the OS. Before you do this, though...let me have a couple more techs look at the problem to see if there may be a way around it.

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I'm not very familiar with viruses, except the basic easy name ones like trojans and stuff......this one had a long name with all types of symbols.... I'll wait on what to do....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Looks like the recovery is about your only option...

The bad news: The data that was on the machine is gone.

The good news: Your machine will run like it was brand new again.

Sure would like to know what nasty did this! :whistling:

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
The recovery worked and I've got a pretty good bit of software to install....But thanks for helping!!