Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

adding ram and new processor

• Please log in to reply

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
i recently acquire a bunch of ram, and an intel celeron processor.
i wanted to add both to my dell(currently running a pentium four) that, although it is a nice computer needs more ram.

I know how to physically put anything in, but was wondering if there is any software that i need in order to use a new processor and extra ram. also is there anything important that i need to know while putting these (especially th processor) things in.
please respond soon, and dont leave out the details, i wanna do this right.
also, should i even upgrade from pent 4 to celeron, is there much of a difference?
if you need more details, ask me
thanks and respond soon

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

i recently acquire a bunch of ram, and an intel celeron processor.
i wanted to add both to my dell(currently running a pentium four) that, although it is a nice computer needs more ram.

I know how to physically put anything in, but was wondering if there is any software that i need in order to use a new processor and extra ram. also is there anything important that i need to know while putting these (especially th processor) things in.
please respond soon, and dont leave out the details, i wanna do this right.
also, should i even upgrade from pent 4 to celeron, is there much of a difference?
if you need more details, ask me
thanks and respond soon

The first thing you need to check out is the compatibility of the motherboard with the extra RAM and processor.
Look up your Mobo manual and see what type of RAM you are using. Also what is the maximum RAM it can handle?

Likewise with the CPU you'll need to check out if they are compatible.

Folks here can help you find that out. You will need to post your system specs in this thread.

If you don't know how to find what mobo you've got you can download Everest or SIW. These tools will give you system information. You can also find out about your RAM by going to www.crucial.com

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thanks, ill use those programs to post my info, both the ram and processor i ot out of the trash, yeah can u beleive someone was throwin away a celeron. ill post in a little while

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Here is the motherboard info

Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 4600

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 4267 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type Dual DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 128-bit
DRAM:FSB Ratio 5:4
Real Clock 167 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 333 MHz
Bandwidth [ TRIAL VERSION ] MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Dell Computer Corporation
Product Information http://www.dell.com
BIOS Download http://support.dell.com

Here's the ram info

Field Value
Memory Device Properties
Form Factor DIMM
Type SDRAM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 128 MB
Speed 333 MHz
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator CHANNEL A DIMM 0

I am not sure what the info is on the new ram and processor, all i know is they both came off of an emachines T1221

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
another question, as long as the processor fits, will it work, i havent tested it yet but am considering it, same question for the ram

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I wouldn't put in the celeron just yet... celerons are much worse than p4s... and unless you currently have an extremely old p4, i doubt the celeron will improve your performance at all.

http://www.geekstogo..._4-t122295.html

Also, you said you found these in the trash? Ever consider they might have been put there because they are broken and don't work? Even though celerons are horrible processors, I don't think someone would just throw one out that still works fine. They could sell it to a local computer store or on the internet.

Edited by stettybet0, 17 July 2006 - 12:39 PM.

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ok, but can you answer the other question, if i switch the two processors, do i need any software or anything else for the new one to work?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Alright, well I did some research on both systems you listed and here's what I found:

The RAM you found is either PC100 or PC133. VERY OLD STUFF. It will not work with your computer.

Since the RAM is so old, that suggests the celeron is pretty old too. Being that your computer currently has a 2.8Ghz P4, not even the best Celeron out now (3.2Ghz) would not be good enough to warrent replacing your P4.

I'm afraid these parts won't do you any good.

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ok i have some more info, i got the computer in 2003 does that help for anything

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
also the ram that came out of the emachines was not the original , or at least one was not the original

Advertisements

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
can i try puttin in the new ram and see if it works, i have two empty slots and want to know if its worth a try

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Well, I'm pretty sure theres no more help to be given.

The RAM won't work and the Celeron will downgrade your system. Usually the speed of the processor is printed/etched onto the processor. Can you see what the speed is? I strongly doubt it is above 2.8Ghz, and even so I don't think it would be worth it.

In fact, now that I think about it, the processor might even not be compatible due to its age. Old celerons ran on Socket 478. All new P4s (like yours) run on LGA775. EDIT: Actually, found out that your P4 is a Socket 478. Who woulda thought? You learn something new everyday! But this is besides the point, because we have already determined that your celeron is "pretty slow."

EDIT: The RAM will NOT work. Putting it in may cause more harm then good. I doubt it will even fit in, being that it needs a different interface than your current DDR RAM. Forcing it in may break the RAM slots on your mobo.

Edited by stettybet0, 17 July 2006 - 01:04 PM.

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
you are right the celeron is pretty slow, wat about the ram if i put it in will anything happen

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Read my EDIT in the above post.

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
what if they do fit