Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

E-Machine=CRAP?

• Please log in to reply

t_money662

t_money662

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Is this really the end of my e-machine??
I am going to give it on last ditch effort..

Previously had a pretty well-running pc (yes it was a emachine, i know, laughed at by most..but it served me pretty well until now), one day it wouldn't turn on. That same day i noticed it was having "seizures" or something when it was off, with the light flashing on and off, the sound of the fan jerking over and over, forcing me to unplug it to stop it. After that, no power up.

I bought a brand new power supply, still no-go.

After doing a little searching of the forums, I stripped it down, tried again..nothing.
I tried the jumping of the power switch pins to test the switch, ...nothing.

I was about to give up hope, when I unplugged the main power connector that goes into the motherboard, and plugged it back in..suddenly the fan kicked in, and the lights lit up..I got excited for a second, but then hope faded as the pc just sort of sat there in limbo, not booting up.

I couldn't turn it off, so I was forced to unplug it in the back.
Now nothing happens again, and when I unplug the main power connector from the motherboard and plug it in again, as I did before, it just kind of "jumps" for a second, the fan jerks and the power/hd lleds light up for a second. Basically that "jump" was what it was doing before it broke in the first place, the "seizures" I mentioned before was just this over ad over again..i think.

So basically, am I screwed? I have ALOT of software on my 2 hard drives, and it would be a PAIN to install them an a new pc, transfer the data, and then re-install every single one, not to mention the discs/serials that I have lost over the years..

Sorry for the long post, but I am just looking for anyone that has had similar problem, or knows if there is any hope left.

thanks alot

Advertisements

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
i'm no expert, but i think it might be the end, the reason for this is i recently acquired some computer parts, really nice computer parts $$$, from an emachines computer that someone was throwing away. I plugged it in and it behaved the same as your description. then i noticed that the hard drive was removed meaning that they probably took it out to transfer files. Most people would not have thrown away a computer like this unless they knew that it was screwed.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wow...that could be just about anything...hehe...from a hosed motherboard to a bad proc to a bad PSU

you say you replaced the PSU are you sure it was compatable with emachines? emachines (and dell) often times use proprietary PSU's that somehow have something different about them ( i don't know what that something is...) that makes it to where you've got to get a special PSU for them

have you tried booting with absolutely nothing connected to the motherboard? no ram no nothing?
do you get any post beeps?

if you do get post beeps...put your ram in (one stick at a atime if you have more than one stick)
do you get post beeps? how many? how long?

now put your graphix card in (if you've got onboard graphix...nevermind)
do you see the normal post screens? (if you've got onboard graphix did you see the post screens through any of the above processes?)

hook up your primary HD
does she boot?
(see where this process is going?)

t_money662

t_money662

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the responses...
Yes, I stripped down everything, ram too, and would not power up, no beeps or anything..

Is it possible that a messed up power supply could have somehow fried the MB?
I am pretty sure the old ps was shot, because a capacitor fell out of it when I took it out, and now when i plug it in to the wall by itself, it has a weird hum to it. Also I tried putting it back in the pc just in case, and nothing at all happened, not even the little pop sound and the jump of the fan as with the new ps. Also, yes the new ps is compattable, same brand and all..bestec.

As of now, I pretty much give up, I will just buy a new tower, ans install my 2 old hard drives one by one into that new tower, and painstakingly transfer what I need, and reinstall what i can..yikes might be awhile-- :whistling:

thanks to everyone

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
dsenette has some good suggestions but from my experience with e-machines when they do what you describe it usually means bad power supply which usually then takes out the motherboard. Certainly try Dsenette's suggestions but realise you may be sol...