Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Disk Error HP Pavilion 724c

• Please log in to reply

sherrylander

sherrylander

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello, I went on vacation for 10 days, shutting down and unplugging my computer (HP Pavilion 724c) before I left. When I returned, upon turning on the computer, I get a boot disk error. There is nothing in the floppy. When I rebooted, I hit the F1 at the blue screen. It appears to see the master, giving me a number there and specs for the hard drive. There is not slave drive. I opened up the computer, cleaned out the dust, and checked the cables as best I could. I do not have an HP system or recovery disk set --- I have that ordered and am expecting it in the next day or so. I do have a compaq disk set so put it in, even though it is for XP professional version. I can get to the c:/ prompt, but don't have a clue as to what to do next. Should I wait for the HP recovery set, try something with the c:/, or take it somewhere to have it looked at? Thank you very much for your patience with this relative novice and for your help.

Best regards, Sherry in Virginia

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you get to that c:\ prompt in the recovery console type chkdsk /f and let that run to completion (about 45 min or so) report any errors (there is a chance that the /f switch will not work...if it doesn't replace that with /r)

sherrylander

sherrylander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello, Thanks again for the help. When I get to the C:\ and type in chkdsk /f it says "The parameter is not valid. Try /? for help." When I replace the f with /r it says "The specified drive is not valid, or there is no disk in the drive."

Some other things I typed in after chkdsk and the response are:

chkdsk a: "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

chkdsk e: "The volume serial number is 317a-51ba. The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked. Use /p if you want to chek the volume anyway. 480978 kilobytes total disk space 0 kilobytes are available. 2048 byes in each allocation unit. 240489 total allocation units on disk. 0 allocation units available on disk.

chkdsk d: "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

anything else following chkdsk (chkdsk c: etc.) I get message "The specified drive is not valid, or there is no disk in the drive."

Hope this doesn't mean my hd is dead!
Sherry

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...do you know what those other letters normally went to?

sherrylander

sherrylander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
a is the floppy

the other things it has are a partition on the hard drive for recovery, a dvd rom, and a burner. Sorry, I just can't remember which is which letter wise. Is there somewhere on the bios setup I can look for that? I feel like a real idiot for not knowing. Sherry

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
e: is probably your HD...given the size its reporting..(assuming you have one HD) d is probably your optical drive...hence the unrecoverable sectors......i think with HP you can do a full system recovery (called a destructive recovery...meaning you'll lose everything on the computer) by pressing i think...shift + f10 during boot...ths would restore your computer to factory settings..i believe the recovery disks (have you gotten those yet?) allow for a non destructive recovery (just replaces windows)...if you want to try the destructive option..you can take the HD out of the busted computer...put it into a working computer as a slave...and copy out all of your important documents and photos and music...then do the destructive recovery after putting it back into the HP...

sherrylander

sherrylander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I hopefully will get the disks today. I think I'll wait for them and try the nondestructive first, then if that doesn't work, do as you said re destructive. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your help. Sherry

sherrylander

sherrylander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well, the bad news is....I had to get a new hard drive. Sigh. Thanks for your help, anyway.

Sherry

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry it ended up that way...thanks for letting us know