Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hosting Age of Empires 2 (not 3) game

• Please log in to reply

tsavong_lah

tsavong_lah

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried to host a game with Age of Empires II today, and no one could see the game. I created the game using TCP/IP internet for direct play. I got my ip address from the "IP" button in the create screen and gave it to my friend. He typed my IP in the "show games" box, but my game did not show up. My computer is connected to the internet through a router, and I think the IP address the game detected is not valid, because I tried having my friend host the game, and it gave him the same IP as me (we get DSL from the same company.) How can I get the game to be seen by other computers? How can I find my "real" ip address? (ipconfig gave me the same one as the game.)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
If you gave your friend 127.0.0.1 as your IP, that won't work, that's the home IP or something like that (I know this from previous problems like this). Second, they might not be able to see your game if you have a firewall. I know when I'd play CS:S I could never start a game because my firewall like, prevented people from seeing it and joining.

In terms of finding your "real IP" I'm not sure.

tsavong_lah

tsavong_lah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I unblocked the game using Windows Firewall. My IP was not 127.0.0.1 (I can't tell you my real one of course). Rather, I think it was giving the IP of my local SBC Yahoo routing station.