Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer problem

• Please log in to reply

darkness112

darkness112

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey there guys, i just recently tried building my first computer, everything went fairly smooth until it was time to turn it on for the first time. I dont seem to get any reaction, i hit the power button and nothing happens. I did notice though on my mobo there is an led that is on when i have everything plugged in and according the manual it says it indicates the system is on, in sleep mode, or in soft-off mode? So i suppose if this LED is on that must mean the mobo is in working order along with the PSU? Maybe i have a wire in the wrong spot, but im pretty sure those are correct. Any ideas? Thank you.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would follow the power supply cables and make sure everything is plugged in securely. I have seen some mobos that not only have a 20 pin atx connector for the power but also a 4 pin connector near the cpu that needs to be plugged in as well. If the 4 pin is not plugged in you could get an led but no power. Next question, are you hearing any beeps at all?

Is the cpu fan running when you turn it on?

darkness112

darkness112

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well my mobo is weird maybe, i got an Asus a8n5x and it has a 24pin power, and the 4pin plug near the cpu, ive tried powering it on with the 4pin plug out and with it in, no help. As far as hearing any sounds i dont, but i might not have my sound hooked up correctly. And there are no fans running the only sign of power i see is on that mobo LED. I really hope i dont have to get a new mobo :whistling:

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Im sorry I can not be of much more help, I checked the Asus website and there are many options with that mobo. The one thing I noticed is it said it allows you to regulate the power to the cpu, that would be my first spot in looking for trouble. Maybe a jumper on the board or a setting somewhere.

Good luck

darkness112

darkness112

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ahhh thanks for trying, im keep working at it.