Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to find files after a recovery

• Please log in to reply

BIRDLOVER71

BIRDLOVER71

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been having problem with my computer freezing and last night I couldn't even do a system restore. So I reboot and did a system recovery not knowing what I was doing and have lost everything all my photos file in excel, word and works. Can I get them back??? Please help I have alot of cherishED photos and I am very sad that this has happened....
Can someone please help me please??? I have windows xp media ed

thank you
Amy

*** please note I have done the following copied and pasted below am I missing something???***
Follow these steps to gain access to the folders:

1. Restart the computer into Safe Mode.

a. Shut down the computer.
b. Power on, and when the blue HP Invent or Compaq screen appears, keep
tapping F8. This displays the Windows Advanced

Options Menu.
c. Use the arrow keys to move up to Safe Mode and press Enter.
d. Press Enter on Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal or Microsoft
Windows
XP Home Edition.

2. Click Administrator and, if applicable, enter the password and press
Enter.
3. A window will appear asking you for confirmation of keeping in Safe
Mode. Click Yes.
4. Click Start and My Computer. Then, double-click the main hard drive
(
C:) and Documents and Settings.
5. Right-click the folder name of the user account and click
Properties.
6. Click Security.
7. Click Advanced.
8. Click Owner (see Figure 1 arrow 1).
9. Place a check mark in Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
(see
Figure 1 arrow 2).
10. Click Apply.
11. Click Yes to the security message.
12. Click OK.
13. Click OK again.
14. Restart the computer and access will be granted to all folders of
the
user accounts.

Edited by BIRDLOVER71, 18 July 2006 - 12:10 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
If you used a system restore disk that came with your computer....you have wiped the hard drive clean and reinstalled the operating system and everything is back to the day you bought the computer...and would have lost all your data by doing that...unless you are willing to pay thousands of dollars for a recovery company to try to get the data back I'm afraid you have lost the data...in the future if you are not sure what you are doing then ask questions BEFORE doing anything...and BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP things that are important..

Gene R

Gene R

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
BirdLover....I have (had) somewhat the same issue this last weekend. I slaved my drive into another machine. It reconzied the drive but could not display anything on it. I found a product on line, via the Kim Komando website. I downloaded a trial of an appliction and ran it. It found my files and then I purchased it and got the 'key' and was able to retirve my pictures and the teenages mp3 files ~20 GB....

It is called File Scavanger. It cost $49 and you don't have to pay it up front. If it finds your files then you pay and get a key to release it. It does find deleted files also, but remember, only files that were not overwritten by the restore will be available.

Its worth a try and if it doesn't find any, you are not out any money....

Please let me know @ [email protected] if this worked for you....

Thanks........

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it wont hurt to try what Gene R said but she didn't wipe her drive and reinstall windows on the drive...i'm afraid shes giving you false hope

BIRDLOVER71

BIRDLOVER71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I think my photos and everything else are gone now. I am reinstalling new antivirus and whatever else I need and starting new.... It really is heart breaking....

Can anyone explain to me how to backup things so they aren't lost again forever.... ???

thanks...Amy

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the short version is to make several copies of anything you cant live without to CD or DVDs or external hard drive and keep the copies at different locations...1 at work or friends house or garage or safe deposit box ect....the key is to have multiple copies so in the event something bad happens you just have to put a copy of the data back onto the computer...I recently fixed a customers computer that had 2 years worth of vacation photos that they had not only not backed up never even printed a copy....they were lucky..I managed to get there system working again and they disdn't lose anything...it doesn't always work out so good....

for more info look here..

http://www.extremete...58,10684,00.asp

and here..

http://www.practical.../how/backup.htm

Edited by happyrck, 18 July 2006 - 04:34 PM.

Anh

Anh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I know my reply now would be too late for Birdlover but I still want to reply to this question because there might be another person runs into the same problem. Data Recovery software can help: http://www.recovermyfiles.com/ Or at least it works for me...