Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Numeric keypad doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

ejluckey

ejluckey

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
After getting XP installed on a computer that had been using ME, a keyboard error kept coming up everytime I rebooted. The keyboard works fine except for the numeric keypad. The Num Lock light comes on but the numeric keypad doesn't work. I went to the Microsoft site and tried the 2 things they suggested. My registry was already set up the way they wanted. I also added a script to my start up folder, but that didn't work either. I have tried 3 keyboards on this computer, that work on the other computers, and none work the numeric keypad. PLEASE HELP. I do a lot in excel and using the numbers along the top of the keyboard are slow and tedious. After your suggestion, I tried uninstalling the driver and rebooting. That worked for awhile, but quit working after I switched users and then came back. I then deleted the script that Microsoft suggested from the startup folder, and once I did that, I couldn't get the numeric keypad to work. I reinstalled the driver again and put the script back in the start up folder, and it worked for awhile. Same problem as before. I am confused. :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this a usb keyboard or ps2?

ejluckey

ejluckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I guess ps2. It is not plugged into a USB port. It is a purple circular pen that plugs into the back of the computer. Any keyboard that I have hooked up, USB or PS2 has the same problem with the numeric keypad. Do you think it has something to do with the operating system??

Edited by ejluckey, 19 July 2006 - 06:01 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...the keyboard error during boot suggests to me that it's something with the PS/2 port...or the keyboard...but...with a usb keyboard that would be irrellevant...

try one thing for me

uninstall the keyboard drivers completely...and shut down the computer....switch to a USB keyboard and boot back up...it should detect it and reinstall the proper drivers for ti...any better?

ejluckey

ejluckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I think that worked. Since I am using the keyboard USB port, I guess that means that next time I get the computer serviced, the need to check the keyboard PS/2 port. Thanks for all your help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
thanks for letting me know....if the problem comes back...post here again

ejluckey

ejluckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well the numeric keypad worked for about a week. Then I went out of town and when I came back it didn't. I tried uninstalling the keyboard driver again and the continued using the USB port and that didn't work. Early on I went to the Microsoft website and added the script that they suggested. At that time it worked until I shut the computer off and restated it and then the num lock key stopped working. I have tired not accepting the script when I booted up and that didn't make a difference. I have tried several keyboards, some with USB ports and the PS/2 port. The keyboard on the USB port worked the longest, but now it doesn't work. I can't help but think that it is a xp problem, because it started when we had xp install. ME was on it originally. Any other ideas???????

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
k try this. go to the bios (when the computer boots, repetitively press either esc, delete, f2 or f10, depending on your computer) and then try to find something call Legacy USB and see if its enabled or not, if not, ENABLE IT! then see if it works.

ejluckey

ejluckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I couldn't find legacy USB. I went through the entire setup screen and when there were options, I looked at each one. Any other ideas?

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
u have a USB port bu tno Legacy USB option?????? wat the hel...........?

ejluckey

ejluckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK this is what I did. I rebooted and I got a message Keyboard failure. This message has occurred from the beginning. Then I went into setup while I was booting up. (F2 for my system). The only mention of USB was in 2 spots. Under Integrated Devices the USB Emulation was ON. Under PCI IRQ Assignment it showed Intel Corp USB Adapter - IRQ 11. Now are either of those the options the same a Legacy USB??? I am rather green at this.