Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Built computer/dont work

• Please log in to reply

jesterofdeath

jesterofdeath

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Alright so i built a computer and i used a SATA harddrive and it seems to interfere with my cdrom drive. They both are set on master and i cannot change it, when i try to install an OS it says that it cannot find cdrom device but when i look in the bios its listed there as master along wit my hardrive as master. The harddrive is in the sata port 1 and the cdrom is in ide port 2 (tried 1 same problem). it is a Biostar P$M80M4 motherboard. any help would be greatly appreciated ,id hate to throw this thing out when i just bought it

Advertisements

mreed

mreed

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Two general guesses. First check the back of the drives, cdrom especially, for jumpers that set the drive to slave. Second re-read the motherboard manual to see why the drives are even seen as on the same chain. If this is intentional then there is likely a bios setting that allows both drives to claim master status. Also the problem may be unrelated. Check that drive settings match bios or system settings for reading the particular drives (Does the mobo support the drive data transfer system). If they are compatable (likely since you see them in the bios) load windows in mobo default settings and check settings in windows control panel for the drive data tansfer system. Set to drives listed system and then set bios to performance settings after system seems functional. This does not sound like a hardware malfunction so donate the parts to a good cause. I'm not an expert but I have found all build problems are solvable with enough trial and error, and when desparate I resort to rereading related manual sections with the assumption I have a mistaken view of the problems source. Occasional manufacturer support angels (especially near 3-4 A.M.) will walk you through all possible issues and wait until you report results of suggestions. Luck