Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dell fan

• Please log in to reply

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I need a dell compatable case fan. I have an older dimension system (naturally just out of warranty) that the case fan has gone out on. I know it needs a 4 wire fan. Does anyone have any recomendations. Right now it has a 3 wire fan, but the system still generates the bios error on bootup.

Thanks,
Starjax

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi Starjax. The size of the fan might be a limiting factor, but otherwise, if it is a case fan (and not the cpu fan) just about any fan should do. Most have a standard 4 plug molex connector, but you can get adapter plugs, 3 to 4 and vice versa. You can get fans on line at Newegg.com or http://www.geeks.com/ and a multitude of other places. You could also go down to your local CompUSA, Best Buy or Fry's (or any other computer/electronics store) and get one off the shelf that should work. I have added fans to all of my systems (5 that I remember) and never had a problem. All you need to do is get power to it and securely mount it.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
that's what I thought. It's actually my mom's pc. I had her take it to a local shop that I know the people who work there. All they had was a standard 80mm case fan that connected to the standard ps molex plug. They didn't have any 4 wire plugs to the system board or any adapters.

needless to say that I will be having a conversation with them when I go home in a few weeks.

gotta luv remote troubleshooting.