Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply

Estilgar

Estilgar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After virus hit I had to fdisk, and now Windows will not install properly. :help:

I have to install via Win98 and then upgrade to Win2k since my Original 2k disk was damaged. (Good thing for backups)

Win98 and the upgrade to 2k went smoothly. But after that I couldn't use Windows Update. It often gave me an error about something being wrong with my connection. I had to manually install BITS 2.0 and was able to gaff around some other updates, by actually adding the Administrator profile to the Administrator list. Most of those had errors saying they didn't have valid Digital Signatures or:
Unable to install Java packages; The command line is invalid."
"Unable to install Java packages from C:\WINDOWS\Java\classes\xmldso.cab, The form specified for the subject is not one supported or known by the specified trust provider." :whistling:

There were about 30 updates that had various errors installing, and I feel they are incorrectly configured.

Windows also will not allow Direct X to be installed saying that I don't have permissions to do so. I am logged on as Administrator, I have created a second Administrator profile and also logged out to let Windows Update work on it's own time schedule to find it still hasn't successfully installed much.

It's quite a hassle. This is supposed to be a gaming computer, but without Direct X or my NForce drivers installed, now
it's a hassle just to play online Flash games and streaming video clips.

There are some other issues.. but I think/hope I covered enough to get this heap fixed. :blink:

Edited by Estilgar, 20 July 2006 - 11:53 PM.

Advertisements