Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop cd-drive won't read or write cd's

• Please log in to reply

jimmyldr

jimmyldr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
For some weird reason my laptop will only read a cd (of any kind) when i restart windows with the cd in the cd drive

Otherwise it will just display blank window as if the cd is blank

When i try to burn a cd or dvd it reaches the end of the burning process and brings up an error, and nothing appears on the disk

I have tried reinstalling windows, i had the drive looked at by a Technician and was told that it was in perfect working condition. No change.

I am at a complete loss and do not know wat to do

any thoughts?

The cd/dvd drive is a MATSHITA UJ-840D

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
is the driver up to date? look in device manager. do you see any yelllow ! or ?'s?

jimmyldr

jimmyldr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yes, computer is only 4 months old

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

look in device manager. do you see any yelllow ! or ?'s?

jimmyldr

jimmyldr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no nothing, is it possible that it is software related?

I have uninstalled Nero and any other programe that might interfere

Edited by jimmyldr, 19 July 2006 - 07:32 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in your bios and see if windows is selected to configure plug and play devices or the bios is ...which everway its set ..reverse it...I cant remember what its called..you just enable or disable to select whats configures PnP...
still no joy...you might try this

the filters could be the problem. Here's an automated script for fixing them, takes the risk of editing the wrong thing away.

Now, if you've deleted some other stuff associated with the drives, you may have done something that this script can't fix. If so, I suggest a repair installation of XP to attempt to correct that.

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with the following stuff in it exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- cut after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
------------------------------ cut before this line --------------------------------

I stole ..uh uh.. borrowed this from johnwill so if it doesn't work we will blame him :whistling: ...and of course if it works I should get the credit :blink: :help:

alliv0828

alliv0828

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, I have a problem with my dvd drive. It plays and record cds but when I play movies there's no audio even I set the volume to the max and its in fastforward speed even the setting is only on normal speed. I already tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver, and tried the upper and lower keys too but still didn't work. Does anybody know how to fix it? pls. help! thanks

alliv0828

alliv0828

• Pip
  • 5 posts
oh, I got IBM T40 with windows XP.