Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New hard drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

TKitty

TKitty

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just bought a new 400GB Seagate internal hardrive. It comes with the disk copy software to move everything from your old hard drive to the new one - which it did beautifully. However, I moved the jumper on the Seagate to Master and placed it on the IDE cable in the primary position and it still shows the drive as the Slave. It will not budge. I removed the old hd, changed the jumpers on the new one, moved it on the cable and when I boot & go into the Bios, it shows it as the Slave. I disable Slave & try to auto detect the Master & it won't show up. What m I missing here? I also checked the boot.ini and it correct :whistling:

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
is it a cable select cable? if it is the 40pin 80 conductor ( ie ata66/100/133 ) then it is. try moving drive to the end of the cable... also set the drive to cable select.

TKitty

TKitty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry, cable select doesn't work either - still shows as a slave drive

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Sorry, cable select doesn't work either - still shows as a slave drive

Do you have it on the end of the cable? If you have it on the middle one that is the slave setting..... Also is your cable have colored ends? the blue end is the one that plugs into the motherboard