Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Connections Disappeared

• Please log in to reply

Chele

Chele

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 19300 laptop with Windows XP Service Pack 2. Connects to the internet with an Intel Pro/Wireless 200BG Network Connection to a Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless router.

It was working perfectly fine when one day, I powered it on and it could not get an IP address. I checked the Network Connections and they had all disappeared. I tried to run ipconfig and received an error that said "The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\DHCPCSVC.DLL is not a valid Windows image." I disabled the firewall hoping it would help, but it did nothing. I have also checked it for malware and spyware and this does not seem to be the issue.

Please :whistling:

Chele

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Chele and welcome to G2G,

It is very nice when a user requesting help is able to provide nearly all the information needed right off the start. Good Job.

Please follow these steps and we will get to the cause of your problem:

1. Click on START
2. Click on RUN
3. Type in, devmgmt.msc ,and hit enter
4. From the Device Manager screen scroll down to Network Adapters and expand the category by clicking on the "+" sighn next to it
5. Verify that your "Intel Pro/Wireless 200BG Network Connection" device is shown here <reply 1>
6. Also verify that if it is here, that there are no Yellow "!" or Red X's covering the device <reply 2>

Next we also want to make sure that the actual file needed is really missing or just corrupted, so we want to navigate to it using windows explorer. Heres How:

1. Double click on My Computer
2. Double click on the Local Disk C drive
3. Click on the TOOLS link at the taop
4. Select FOLDER OPTIONS
5. In the Folder Options window selecte the VIEW tab
6. In the Advanced Settings Area make sure there is a check in the box for "Show Hidden files and folders"
7. Click the APPLY and then the OK button
8. Now we are back at the windows Explorer or Local Disk Window
9. Open the WINDOWS folder
10. Open the SYSTEM32 folder
11. Now see if you can find the file named: DHCPCSVC.DLL
12. If you cannot find it then it needs to be reinstalled... If you can find it then it may be corrupted along with other unknown files. Let me know which of two you encounter. <reply 3>
13. Make sure to go back into the Folder Options and uncheck the box for "Show Hidden files and folders" and then re-apply it.
14. Post your replies as directed.

Chele

Chele

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi SpaceCowboy706

Sorry it took me a while to reply. i actually fixed the problem. It turns out the Intel Pro/Wireless 200BG was crashing with a windows update. Intel provided an update to fix the problem. Thanks for your help anyways.

Chele

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Outstanding.

something goes somewhere

something goes somewhere

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,

I have the same problem could you help me? I get these yellow (!)

:)