Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keith pretty please - vxd errors update

• Please log in to reply

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi again, well here`s the latest

[ original thread here http://www.geekstogo...s...&hl=driving ]

I`m getting a bit nearer to a smash-up-the-pc-with-a-hammer breakdown :whistling:

A couple of days ago the pc started being more of a pain han usual, so I phoned symantec to be told to uninstall then reinstall norton. Told them been there done that, they said do it again. So I did. It refused to reinstall properly so all evening was spent on the phone with them. They do not seem to understand the phrase ` symtdi.vxd is screwing up my machine.....

So the next day was spent messing about uninstalling and reinstalling again, getting the updates all over again, doing a full system scan which crashed twice part way through then scanned ok, plus did the symantec online scan just to be sure, then decided I`d had enough of scans and the machine so switched the thing off and watched telly instead :woot:

Today, it started ok, live update did its thing ok, and all seemed ok. Then I decided to play a pc game - and pc blue screened which I was promised would not happen again as the symtdi `must have been reinstalled ok `. Methinks norton crashing during scans was an inkling that perhaps it, or something else in it, had not installed properly after all.

So, I hit restart and restart it did - repeatedly, with a frequent screen telling me system reg checker had found a problem, would fix it, and reboot. After about the 6th partial boot which then started from the beginning again, I rang symantec back. Noooo, cant be a norton issue they said. Well, while on the phone to them, [ while it was still doing the repeating partial boot-ups ], a screen comes up saying w32mydoom!gen had been successfully removed.....

Hmmmm, aint norton great.....

Thats an old virus, and has certainly been covered by norton updates so should have been found immediately. Nope, the tech tried to tell me I couldnt have had virus defs up to date - that one has been around since 2005 at least and I always kept live update on, and made sure they WERE up to date, plus have always had two full scans scheduled twice weekly, so sorry symantec, norton LET it through. So tech said uninstall then use 98 disk to repair windows. Will it lose me the stuff on the pc I asked - no no, it will just repair, dont worry you wont lose anything. Fine I said.
Only Norton decided it didnt want to uninstall this time so I rang back, had a rant, and finally got them to call me back [ how many hours on the phone that I have to pay for :) ].

So, the supervisor rang back and had to talk me through manual uninstall. Fine, did all that, then told him I had the 98 disc ready to put in. He said, oh you are reformatting, good, norton will be able to have a fresh reinstall on a stable system `.
No said I, not reformatting, just repairing as the previous tech had told me to. sueprvisor saus you cant do that with 8, using the disc will will reinstall windows and all existing data will be lost. He said the other tech probably thought I had XP. Er, no he didnt - its on the records what the system is, he kept looking up error stuff for 98se and asked if i had the 98se disk. So had the uninstall worked, I would have then used the 98 disk and lost everything. By this time I was rather agitated !

So the upshot is, my only recourse seems to be to book the damned thing in to have another [ additional ], HD put in, to be used as the main drive with windows intalled to that, then access everything else as and when, rather than lose stuff in a reformat.

In the meantime, rather than introduce another anti-v to an already probably messed up system [ thanks to flippin norton ], I reinstalled norton [ which seemed to go smoother this time at least in the hopes that it, along with using firefow browser, and yahoo email [ which scans with norton so wing and a prayer there methinks ] simply in the hopes that it might afford a bit of protection til I can get a new HD installed.

I am extremely careful about suspicious emails and take the usual precautions so I am trying to keep any further risk to an absolute minimum and will be spending only absolutely necessary time on-line [ including checking in here of course ] while I wait to get the HD dealt with.

I did run sfc again, prior to reloading norton this last time tonight ], and it came up with some possibly corrupted files which are :

mscat.dll
mssip.dll
cryptui.dll
cryptext.dll
mssign.dll
cryptnet.dll
msoss.dll

These have not some up in previous sfc checks fwiw.

Comments ? Suggestions ? [ Dont say get drunk, I`m allergic to alcohol, but the idea is very appealing at this point :help: :blink: ]

Anything I can do in terms of scans or logs or anything ?

All further help much appreciated :woot:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the 98 Cd, run sfc and put the dot in restore file, click OK and load the CD into the drive it shows you, e.g E:\

Replace each file it asks for, when the scan completes, click details to check the number of files restored is the same

Run sfc again

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Blimey didnt hope for such a fast response, fanx :blink:

It says 7 files restored but to restart pc for it to take effect so I will do that now - wish me luck :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

If norton gives you any more trouble, and you haven't just renewed it, post back so we can look at replacing it

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Well it rebooted ok which is a relief. Very quickly tried starting a game load to see if it would but it bluescreened pretty much straightaway with the same old error message :blink:

I did renew norton but they did it free because of the problems so wont be a loss to get rid though I cant help thinking if it would cause problems to install anything else while the pc is unstable :whistling:

By the way, the symantec techs said I had to do normal boot ups not selective startup ` as it is probably causing the crashes, not norton` [ yeah right ! ] so now I have everything in the tray which I just dont need on startup like printer [ which i cant just click to exit , plus quicktime, external cd drive, soundeffect, volume thingy and web capture [ what ?? ]. Dont they just use up resources if they start up every time I boot rather than me just access if and when I want them ?

They also said i cant boot up and exclude symtdi.vxd [ step by step boot ], and could not understand that when thats loaded, i usually get blue screens during start up and my games crash and I havent bought loads of games just to sit on a shelf collecting dust. They refuse to accept or acknowledge that it could make any difference whether that vxd is loaded or not in terms of game play. Its simple really - no symtdi, no game crashes, no start up errors, with symtdi, frequent start up errors and game crashes every time.
They said there is no fix for vdx`s anyway so not impressed at all with them.

They reckoned an extra hd as the master one was ` a brilliant idea` [ eh ? seems logical thats all ! ] so is it really my best option, if its viable that is, or are they just trying to avoid problems which I believe are down to norton by making out its my pc at fault with no help from norton to send it doolallie ?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the files, software to re-install Norton, remove it, run sfc and replace any files as before, stay offline and run the PC for a couple of hours

With Norton off, you can also run msconfig and remove any ticks from the start up tab

If it runs properly then replace Norton, alternatives here

http://www.filehippo...ware/antivirus/