Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Card Help

• Please log in to reply

greatdj1

greatdj1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ok...I bought a new card and installed it.

After I rebooted, it said that WinXP cannot load the drivers for this card to make it function properly.

I uninstalled it and switched slots, and the same problem is happening

I called Belkin (manufacturer) and the told me to do the same thing, but it didn't work.

I need to get back online before friday......any suggestions?????

I'm running XP on that machine

Thank you!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
i take it you mean an ethernet card?
sounds like the card has a fault.
:tazz:
if it's a belkin take it back they are crap.

greatdj1

greatdj1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes ethernet card...sorry

I had one before and it worked fine....then it stopped

This one won't even start working....

so I still need help

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
check see if the card is in device manager. if it is remove it.

also got to a pc that can connect to internet, go to belkin website and download latest driver. then attempt to install using new driver. if that fails take card back to shop to replace it

greatdj1

greatdj1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Device manager shows that it is an unknown device, and the website has no drivers for it...wants XP to auto load the drivers.

In the box where it mentions that xp is unable to load the drivers, it ends with "code 31"

does this help?

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Code 31
This device is not working properly because <device> is not working properly. (Code 31)

To view the properties for device and see why it is not working, click Properties."
Where device is the dependent device that must be fixed for this device to work correctly.

Solution button: Properties

This code appears when a device depends on another device to work correctly. This does not include devices that are enumerated by the parent device.

The Properties button displays the properties for the other device. It is likely that the other device will also have one of these Device Manager error codes. Follow all the recommended solutions. If the devices still do not work, remove them with Device Manager, and then use the Add New Hardware wizard to redetect them. Finally, contact the hardware manufacturer for updated drivers.

Cryptie

Cryptie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Did this start to happen after you removed some adware/spyware from your system? I've seen 3 computers this week that after cleaning them the network cards and miniports show up in device manager under Unknown. The only way I have found to repair the network portion is to do a repair installation. The bad thing is if this happens on a dial up machine it appears to completely hose it beyond repair. Would like to know if anyone else is seeing this.

greatdj1

greatdj1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
You know what? It did....thats bizarre!

So I have to do a repair?

Cryptie

Cryptie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
If you have the ability that would be the quickest way I've found so far. Although it probably wouldn't hurt to just do a complete format reload.

Cryptie

Cryptie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
K, found a fix for the network card issue.
http://techdiscussio...?showtopic=2452
It appears that ad-aware removes a registry key while cleaning

greatdj1

greatdj1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
What I did was just restored my quaranteen and rebooted....that fixed the problem ;)

Thank you all very much!!!!!!!!!! :tazz: