Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP . C0000218 {Registry File Failure}

• Please log in to reply

moores90

moores90

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, great forum here, just ran across it while trying to fix a machine for a older friend of mine. Here's the deal. He wanted me to put in a CD burner, his had quit burning and he figured it had went bad. So, I install this burner, and when I boot it up, it won't. It recognizes the burner in bios, but we get to the Windows XP splash screen with the bar across the bottom, then it goes black..... and then this blue screen:'

STOP. C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The Registry cannot load the Hive (file):
/Systemroot/system32/config/DEFAULT
or its log or alternate

It is corrupt, abscent, or not writable

Beginning dump of physical memory.

:tazz: Thanks! ;)

Advertisements

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
is o/s xp with service pack 2?

if so i have known a few to get this.

if you uninstall service pack 2 , see if it rectifies the problem

moores90

moores90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I believe this has SP2 on it..... but I cannot even get into the O/S to do anything... it never gets beyond the memory dump... I have tried safe mode, last known good , and all ends up at the physical memory dump. I tried to do a OS repair and at the end of it said it could not be completed. The computer owner wants to save data, and really doesn't want a new install if at all possible (older and quite concerned about all that and just got out of hospital from heart ssues) and so trying to get it going for him. Thinking I bit off more than I could chew with this "installation of a CD burner". *sigh*

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
can you remove hard drive and install in your own pc as slave to access all his files to copy, burn to cd/dvd to back-up?

then if you re-install in his pc at least you have back-up then go to do reinstall directly over his o/s. don't click on repair using recovery console, continue onto installation then you get to repair

moores90

moores90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

can you remove hard drive and install in your own pc as slave to access all his files to copy, burn to cd/dvd to back-up?

then if you re-install in his pc at least you have back-up then go to do reinstall directly over his o/s. don't click on repair using recovery console, continue onto installation then you get to repair

View Post

I could do that, and at this point am looking at that as last ditch. Didn't know if anyone else had dealt with this and was able to get it to boot w/o pulling the HD. I had it try to repair and after it had done all of the copying files, said it could not complete it and to contact my system administrator and rebooted.

moores90

moores90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
bump

moores90

moores90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, let me ask this.... if I were to try a clean install of his xp pro will he lose any data??? i.e. my documents folder....my pictures....and so on? Will I have to reinstall his software again?

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
if you do a clean install yes you will lose all data.

johnfactorial

johnfactorial

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Ok, let me ask this....  if I were to try a clean install of his xp pro    will he lose any data???  i.e. my documents folder....my pictures....and so on?  Will I have to reinstall his  software again?

View Post

To clarify, the new install will not necessarilly wipe out those folders. Create a different user name when doing the fresh install - e.g. Greg instead Greg Smith. When the installation is complete, "Greg" will be the only user, but the Documents and Settings folder will still contain Greg Smith's information, which you can then copy over to the Greg user's Documents and Settings folder. Nothing about a fresh installation deletes files unless they must be overwritten. For this reason, I think if, during windows setup, you reproduce exactly a user name that was part of a previous installation, the documents folders (and subsequently the files therein) will be overwritten. Just don't use a former user name when reinstalling and the files will remain. Programs must be reinstalled of course, because of the new registry.