Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Assigning new hdd to existing drive

• Please log in to reply

sweft

sweft

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hello!

I am running windows media ceneter 2005 and I have an 400 GB hdd (ide) and trying I installed the new 300 GB hdd.. (SATA). My problem is when I am in computer management... it don't let me..When I goto "add" it will not let me assign it.. why? what am I doing wrong? Yes, I have searched google.. So I figured I'd ask here..

Thank you in advanced...

Sweft

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

when I am in computer management... it don't let me..When I goto "add" it will not let me assign it.. why? what am I doing wrong?

could you elaborate on that?
how is the drive physically connected? how is it jumpered?
by computer management do you mean disk manager?

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Yes, in the disk manager.. I have my IDE hdd as primary and my new second hdd as slave... which is sata.. had have it jumpered? I don't understand. =(

Posted Image

Here is me messing with Partiton Magic but- I want to the desk 2.. (F) and assign it to Disk 1 (D) So I don't want the F anymore.. I just want C (system) and D...

Edited by sweft, 20 July 2006 - 06:46 AM.

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
bump

sorry if not ok..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well there you go...you've already got a D...your primary drive has 2 partitions on it...c and d....c is your primary partition with windows and d is labled as data...looks like you already partitioned your primary IDE drive in this manner...i'm going to assume that your optical drive (cdrom or dvd) is labled as E....if you want your HD"s to be in succession you could reassign your optical drive to g then assign the sata drive to e then reassign the optical back to F then you'd have partition 1 = c , partition 2 =d , sata drive =e , optical drive =f

can i see a screen shot of windows disk manager just to verify this stuff

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Posted Image

Ok. Thanks for helping.. =( So how do I do this? I'm still having trouble understanding.
:whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in disk manager right click on your cdrom and choose "change drive letter" change that to g

right click on disk1 and do "change drive letter" and make that E

now right click on the cdrom again choose change drive letter and change that one to f

now all you did was reassign the drive letters here to make things a little more organized...

what EXACTLY are you trying to fully accomplish at the end?

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I don't want F.. This is a Media Center computer. Its act's as a tivo..

I want to take F and add it to D.. so than i have 600+ GB's of Data (profile's dir..) of two dif. hard drives! So I want to take disk 1 and add it to disk 0!
Just to expain my data drive..

SwiftNomad

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah...that's not gonna work very well...if at all

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there is a method of using dynamic disks and logical volumes to do this...but i can assure you that this may not infact work...

Advertisements

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
So I cannot compile the two? *Guest sobs! I don't mind a little work.. that's the fun of it.. I'm proud of my computer..

Edited by sweft, 20 July 2006 - 10:12 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sit tight let me think of some options here

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
ok and I will goto bed.. been up fixing someone else coding mistakes. I'll be back online in 5 hours.
Thanks!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have data on the current D drive? if so do you have a way of backing that data up elsewhere?

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
the Data is my:
My Documents
My Pictures
Program Files
My Music
heaps of hours of TV shows.

I did it this way incase my computer crashed.. I just reinstall MCE 2005 on C and I'd have everything else on D.. so if I was to back it up elseware will be backing up my computer.. i don't know how easy it will be making it the way i like it. I just want to extend D... more space! I just formated the new hard drive tring to play with it to work.

Edited by sweft, 20 July 2006 - 10:24 AM.