Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp to 98

• Please log in to reply

Sinthyia

Sinthyia

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a corrupt copy of XP on my system with no XP disc (had to change motherboards after one blew and had a reload disc from the company). I have 98 with a XP upgrade disc. How would I go aout doing this? Not a real tech person, simple please.
Thanks!

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Are you sure you want to do this?

Microsoft doesn't support 98 anymore. 98 is also getting more and more useless when it comes to finding programs that will run on it.

I would think it over again. Are you sure you don't want to buy xp?

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I agree, by xp, (or find somone with it who is kind)

Sinthyia

Sinthyia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Again, I have XP SP2 UPGRADE from 98. I cannot afford, at this time, to buy XP. It will upgrade from 98 to XP home.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
xp home edition is not very expensive anymore. it's available for under $100 now. it's a much better operating system than 98 is.

Go and buy xp, you will have less problems and you'll thank yourself for getting a good operating system.

EDIT: sorry, sinthya, I missed your post.

Edited by emery, 20 July 2006 - 07:12 AM.

Sinthyia

Sinthyia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
AGAIN, it will be upgraded to XP Home SP2. A hundred dollars is the difference between me eating and not for a monh.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Sinthyia...

You might try this REPAIR to your installation of XP...it should work using the upgrade cd. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I have a corrupt copy of XP on my system with no XP disc (had to change motherboards after one blew and had a reload disc from the company). I have 98 with a XP upgrade disc. How would I go aout doing this? Not a real tech person, simple please.
Thanks!

Boot off the upgrade disk.

It should find the existing XP installation. If it doesn't, it will ask you to insert your 98 disk. Do this and swap the disks back when prompted.

You don't need to install 98 to be able to use your XP disk, I never had to anyway. I managed to use a Win95 disk to get this installed first-time round.