Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection help

• Please log in to reply

kate1963

kate1963

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
:whistling: I am trying to hook up my People PC on my husbands computer. I have went into every dial up connection thing i can find but every time i put the disc in it comes up "use my broadband connection". I know its not the disc it works fine. I have just hit a wrong button or something because the computer used to be mine and i have been online with it before. How to i get it off broadband connection?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you be a little more descriptive (i'd probably know what you were talking about if i were sitting next to you)

every time i put the disc in it comes up "use my broadband connection".

what is "it"

How to i get it off broadband connection?

what broadband service did you have before?

is peoplePC dialup?

techtech

techtech

• Pip
  • 2 posts
PeoplePC is a dialup service, I'm guessing you had cable or DSL when you used the computer, so it's defaulting to your network card, you need to change that so it will now use your modem

Ok, per your info on your longin I'm guessing It's XP, if not, you'll need to repost, because this only works with XP...

Load CD into Drive
On your DESKTOP, there should be an icon saying "NETWORK PLACES"
Right click on that Icon, then regular click on "PROPERTIES"
There, you should see a broadband connection, but to the left of the box, you should see "CREATE NEW NETWORK CONNECTION" Click that and a wizard will pop up, it will ask you "Connect To The Internet" , Click "NEXT" then there should be a choice to use the cd that your ISP gave you.....Make sure you choose your modem when you get further in the set up...do not choose your network Card...

kate1963

kate1963

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

could you be a little more descriptive (i'd probably know what you were talking about if i were sitting next to you)

every time i put the disc in it comes up "use my broadband connection".

what is "it"

How to i get it off broadband connection?

what broadband service did you have before?

is peoplePC dialup?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I have never had a broadband connection, thats why i think i hit a wrong button. I had dial up on it and was online with it. When i try to get the modem back its says windows cannot find one. So i have no idea what i have done or how to fix it. People PC is dial up.

from a pm from kate (by the way...please don't pm me for support..i'll allow you to live...just this once)