Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dual core allocation?

• Please log in to reply

oicua12

oicua12

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i have my first dual core system - pentium 4 2.8 ghz

i was wondering if there is a way to allocate processes for each core. for instance... can i dedicate 1 core to, say, a game and force everything else to go through the other core...

or, am i looking at it wrong. i was thinking that, maybe it works like RAID striping, where it separates bits of information from every process and sends half through each core... is that how it works?

i do notice that, when playing Guildwars, my CPU runs at about 40%, while my brother in law's single core tops out at 90% - so, i may not even need to mess with it... was just curiouse.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to my knowledge this is not possible...all throttling and processor allocation is done by the system...it knows when/why/how to decide which core to use

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can set core affinities that means you can dedicate one core to a task like a game not all applications especially games are fully compatible with dual core and need to run in single core mode, in that case one core would just do the game or app the rest would do everything else, there is no way to automise that process though by default all apps are taken to be dual core supported and it detects best settings you should only set core affinities if you have a problem and things that support dual cores and multi threading you definately should let the run using both cores.