Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open webpages - but am still connected to net!

• Please log in to reply

mpet29

mpet29

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I think I've got a good one here. Even my company's IT guy threw his arms up and said "wow, that's a tough one."

Anyway, I'm running Windows XP and connecting to a Netgear router wirelessly through a D-Link wireless card. Let me preface this by saying my problem does not occur with other computers connected to my network, and it still occurs when my computer 'borrows' a different network from within my building, so it seems obvious the problem is localized to my PC.

What happens is that, when I connect to my wireless network, everything is cool for about 60-90 seconds. I can connect, do whatever I please. But after that, I can't connect to webpages - either through IE or Firefox. The problem is not that connectivity to the internet is lost completely, because I can still use Instant Messenger. Even right now, I'm at work and can remote to my desktop at home using VNC, so obviously it's online, but the pages still won't load. When I try it seems like it doesn't even try to search, it just goes immediately to "the requested page cannot be found.

When I repair the connection or connect to a different network, the cycle begins again, 60-90 seconds of goodness, and then webpages don't work.

If anyone has any insight it'd be much appreciated.. thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which version of IE are you using

mpet29

mpet29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Which version of IE are you using

I've also kept up to date with Windows Update and Microsoft patches, except for the goofy "Geniune Advantage" one that i said 'no way' to even before I heard it was a virus. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, network and internet, internet options, delete files, include offline content, delete cookies, click view files, settings, change the size allocated to 50MB

Click clear history, confirm

Click the advanced tab at the top, tick empty temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, tick do not save encrypted pages to disc, click apply

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm and reboot

Can you get this on to the PC and run it

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

mpet29

mpet29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Keith.

I've followed the above directions, however I am still seeing the same behavior.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On the PC which doesn't connect, type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press enter, does that give you the router set up page, if so, run basic set up

mpet29

mpet29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

On the PC which doesn't connect, type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press enter, does that give you the router set up page, if so, run basic set up

Same reaction - it doesn't even try to go.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That is the address for netgear

Have you got the software for the D-Link card to re-install it

mpet29

mpet29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I do.. i kind of assumed that the card wasn't bad because I do still have connectivity using AIM and remote desktop.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can re-install it, at least it rules it out, you should get the netgear set up page though

Do you get Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

You could download IE7 beta 3 with another PC and load it on to this one

http://www.filehippo...ernet_explorer/