Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

More connection help.

• Please log in to reply

kate1963

kate1963

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
More confusion! Ill try to word this better than the last post. I am trying to put People PC (dial-up) on my husbands computer. At one time the computer was mine and i had an online connection with it. Some how i must have hit a wrong button or something because when i try to put the People PC on it now it says "use my broadband connection". I have never had broadband. When i try to get the modem connection it says windows cannot detect a modem. What did i do and how do i get the modem back? I tried to reinstall the modem but since it cannot detect one i dont know how to do that. It gives me a list of modems but i dont have a clue which one it is. Any suggestions please?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which version of windows and do you have an external modem

kate1963

kate1963

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It is windows 98. No it does not have an external modem. The computer is a Zenith Data System if that helps anymore. The computer was given to me about a year ago, so i dont have any discs or books or nothing with it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Unless it has an internal modem, you need to get one, or an external modem

Use your PC to download and save Everest to disc, install it on this PC

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, scroll down to network

kate1963

kate1963

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
:whistling: It does have an internal modem, im just not sure what i did to lose it. How could it have one and now it dont? I must of really screwed it up huh? How do i get the internal one thats already there (i know it has one i have been online with that computer before) back?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, what does it have for network adapters and also modem

You may see a yellow exclamation mark

We are looking for the name of the modem so you can get the drivers for it

kate1963

kate1963

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK..... Under Network Adapters, there are 3....1st- Dial up Adapter. 2nd- Dial up Adapter #2 (VPN Support). 3rd- Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter.

Under Network adapters was a yellow ? Other Devices, the only thing under it was a yellow ? Unsupported Device.

Under Modems- There is no modem detected.

I went to start-run-files and folders and typed in modems and the only thing that came up was MODEM.CPL

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Nothing is named?

kate1963

kate1963

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thats it! It dont make any sense does it? I was online with that computer about 6 or 7 months ago. So am i just SOL?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In device manager, right click each of the network adapters, click properties to see if it shows a name

You could also install Everest on it to see if that will show a name

Another thing to try is run make new connection and see if it shows detect my modem

kate1963

kate1963

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I went ot each one like you said and nothing about modems in any of them. I tried to run a new connection and it says it cannot detect a modem and gives me a list of modems to choose from (about 20 or 30) but i have no idea which one it is. I cant get online with that computer. Do you have to be online to install that Everest? I dont know what Everest is.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Everest is a system information programme, you need an online PC to download it, save it to disc then install it on this one

kate1963

kate1963

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you so much Keith. I will try it and get back to you in a couple of days and let you know whats going on.