Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help fixing a formating problem...

• Please log in to reply

Woodywk1

Woodywk1

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Flrman had been helping me try to debug my computer. Got most of it cleaned up but still could not get everything fixed, so here is what I did and where I am at.

I obtained instruction on-line at cyberwalker.net on what I took as the correct procedur. I verfied what needed to be verified and followed instructions.

I downloaded the XP SP1 boot disk program to a set of 6 floppies from Microsoft.com. I restarted my computer with the floppy boot disk #1 in drive a: and installed all 6 floppies, then went to the Recovery Console and chose the appropriate Windows installation #1.

I removed the floppy from a: drive and put in the XP CD that came with the computer and then.....

At the A:> promt I typed... "format C: /fs:ntfs" and hit enter. The format began and is now complete. I typed exit to reboot and changed the BIOS boot setting back to using the CD-ROM as the primary in the boot sequence. Then I exit-ed and reboot.

My screen is blank with the following message:
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Windows XP with SP1 CD remains in the CD-ROM drive, every time I do Ctrl Alt Del I get the same message over and over. I am typing this from my lap top in case you were wondering.

What the bleep have I done? And how do I fix it?

:whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You want to end up with a clean drive, (no data) to do a clean install?

Woodywk1

Woodywk1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Kieth wrote;

You want to end up with a clean drive, (no data) to do a clean install?

Yes, that is why I ran the format C:. That has completed and was done on the PC that was infected, I am working from my LapTop with this message.

So the format is complete, I just keep getting that message:
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I have had the cover off the computer since to check the connections for the hard drive etc, as that was potential reason for getting the NTLDR is missing message.

When the format is done was I suppose to reload those 6 floop boot disks? and then insert the Windows XP install disk after that? I am a t a loss.

:whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The format hasn't happened if you get files missing error

With the PC set to boot from the CD ROM Drive, boot it with the XP CD in, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You should see this,

http://www.theelderg...l_-_graphic.htm

can you post at which point it differs

Woodywk1

Woodywk1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Problem resolved.

I went ahead and used the floopy boot disks to get me back in business. Windows XP is back in working condition now all I have to do is re-load my other softwarfe and transfer data back to old PC.

thanks for your offer to help just the same. It is wonderful to have this resource aavailable. I have learned a lot through this process.

Kind Regards,

Wendall

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know