Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Browsers

• Please log in to reply

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I have been told, and read, over the past years that opening multiple browser pages simultaneaously does not compromise security, that the individual webpages that are open (say 2 different email accounts, etc.) cannot share information. Can anyone confirm this?

Any wisdom on this topic will be apprecaitaed.

A good measure of paranoia on the WWW is always a good thing.... ProEd

Advertisements

keithy397

keithy397

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

I have been told, and read, over the past years that opening multiple browser pages simultaneaously does not compromise security, that the individual webpages that are open (say 2 different email accounts, etc.) cannot share information. Can anyone confirm this?

In the early days of tabbed browsing (approx 2/3 years ago?) no-one actually knew of any security issues until the hackers started expoliting 'holes' etc., but as time has gone by (as far as I'm aware) the guys in Mozilla have made Firefox as safe as any tabbed browser can be in that regard. I'm sure some other browsers are too, but it would be naive to say any browser is perfectly safe when you get those morons attacking anything of value to someone else.

I don't understand your point about 2 email accounts in tabs sharing info though. If you mean e.g. 2 Gmail accounts, the only issues I can think of would be cookie related. Maybe someone else can expand on that for you.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
As a webmaster, I do not know what other windows you have open when you view my sites. Nor would I care. I am more interested in the link that took you to my site (called the referral link). No, one webpage cannot "share" info with another, even if both are open, unless they are configured to do so on the same domain.

Johanna

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
keithy397 & Johanna.... Thank you both for your responses. Much appreciated.

Johanna.... You have answered my question in your second sentence "No, one webpage cannot "share" info with another, even if both are open, unless they are configured to do so on the same domain." Thank you. Now, how do I check to see if "webpages are configured to do so on the same domain."?

By the by.... I use Firefox and Thunderbird exclusively, except under special circumstances where IE is required for a download, etc.

keithy397

keithy397

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

By the by.... I use Firefox and Thunderbird exclusively, except under special circumstances where IE is required for a download, etc.

ProEd, use the IE Tab extension and you won't need to open IE at all.

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
keithy397.... I visited the IE tab link you included along w/ a couple others. On the 1st I noticed a post today re: a Bug. This bug could be an issue for me since I use Firefox & Yahoo mail. Do you know anything about this?

Also, on the ietab.mozdev.org page there is a list of known issues. I'm not sure what to make of some of these, whether or not to be concerned.

Finally, whose browser am I using when I click on IE tab switch from Firefox? Is this Mozilla faking an IE page or what? The IE tab Screenshots page seems to list an inordinate number of steps simply to avoid IE for Windows Update.

Sorry, but you're dealing w/ a novice on this topic. And I am cautious.