Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help me with my dvd burner/player

• Please log in to reply

sarahloggin

sarahloggin

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Some of you may have seen my previous posting but I now have a new problem with my DVD burner. Original problem was that while I was able to burn movies using both DVD+R and DVD+RW, for whatever reason I couldn’t do so using DVD+R, but just DVD+RW. After googling, it seems like a lot of people have trouble with this burner.

Anyway, now the problem is that it won’t even play a regular movie anymore. These are regular DVDs that I rent from netflix but every time I pop in the disc, it can’t read it. The only type that this currently reads is DVD+R movies that I had burned in the past. So in short, my D drive no longer read regular movies which is very troubling. I can clearly hear the drive trying to read DVD but that’s all it does. I did everything I can to fix the problem including installing its latest firmware, tried playing different movies, and even reinstalling windows XP, but to no avail.

While it would be nice to be able to fix my original problem, at this point, I would just like to be able to play regular DVDs like I was always able to.

If not too much trouble, I would like to get some help trying to fix this problem.
Thanks in advance.

By the way, this laptop is HP zx5070us and the D drive is Toshiba ODD-DVD SD-R6252.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright, let's see if Windows detects any issues... Right-click on the "My Computer" icon and click on Properties. Inside the new window that appears, click on the Hardware tab. Click on Device Manager. You will now see a long list of catgeories. Click on the + sign next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives . You will now see your Toshiba DVD drive, along with any othger drives appear in the list. Now tell me, do you see a yellow exclamation point next to the Toshiba drive?