Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big problem from Dr. Watson...

• Please log in to reply

GoOs3y

GoOs3y

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I made a big mess out of my computer because of Dr. Watson. Before i didn't know about fixing it with hijack-this, so I went about it my own way...and the results were displeasing. ;) I know i shouldnt have messed around with it, but i needed my pc for work. i used a trojan detector(moosoft the cleaner), and it found 400 infected files...and..i am embarrassed to say..i hit delete instead of quarantine. Now u can imagine what happened. Overall, my pc was ok, but the windows environment refused to start, naturally, because of vital files that were missing. So I had to reinstall windows in a whole new directory, so now i cant access any of my files. When i try to access my other directory, it says gives me an error box and says "access denied". I am thiking that the files have become encrypted because my old directory was password protected. Is there any way i could access the files? i didnt install windows on my old directory for fear of destroying old files...i dont have a clue what to do! :tazz: Help!

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Try right clicking the files you need and click "properties". Now click the "security" tab and then the "advanced" button. Now click the "Owner" tab. Remove the old owner name and add your new username. Now reboot and see if you can access the file. You most likely reinstalled XP in a new partition correct? If so then I would recommend deleting the new partion and boot with the XP disk and follow the instructions here on repairing your OS without losing any data.

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

When running the reinstall you should have the option of which OS to repair, choose the old one that is messed up. Then after that all goes smoothly, delete the partition that the newer one is installed on and you're in the clear. That would be the best and cleanest way to fix everything rather than having 2 installs of the same Operating System.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: