Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nancy Drew games

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Have been playing the Nancy Drew games almost from the time the first one came out. Have played them on OSs 98 and on Win XP-Pro and with differing kinds of video/sound cards. I prefer to play games without a WT. A situation has arisen which finally has piqued my curiosity to the extent I would like to find out about what is happening.

In these games I experience many situations where I collect an inventory item or solve a puzzle and save the game. Then I find later on the inventory item collected disappears from inventory or the saved game wherein I solved a puzzle does not hold so that I have to recollect the inventory item and solve the puzzle all over again in order to proceed on in the game.

Other gamers playing Drew games play by religiously following WTS and claim they have no such problems or else play as I do without WT and still have no problems.

I play many differing types games and do not experience this type of situation in other games. Am at a loss as to what I might be doing wrong in the Drew games or if my PC configuration somehow figures into such an issue.

Not even sure where to go to begin researching the matter so am beginning here. If anyone has had similar circumstances or has any ideas about this problem, would appreciate any feedback I can get.

Currently am using: XPS 400 Dell Dimension with GeForce 6800 Nvidia card and using XP-Pro OS with SP2.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Is the game compatible with XP? Are there any game updates/patches? When did things start acting strange? have you made any changes to the system recently?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Game is compatible with XP, others are playing it on XP with no problem, no patches needed at least others are not having to use any; have always experienced this in these Drew games, did not just start; and have not made any changes to system recently as it is a new Dell

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Have you tried reinstalling the game? What about checking the manufacturer's support documents for a related issue?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Did not discover some of the things I am complaining about until I was well into the game so that uninstalling and reinstalling - having to play it all over again was not an option I wanted to consider.

Re patches - did not find any mention of such on the website and my contacts who play these games never have used patches so not sure if they are really needed.

Can think of anything else I have ovrlooked?