Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chkdsk runs every time on bootup

• Please log in to reply

wegitdelu

wegitdelu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Need some ideas! :blink:
I'm working on an XP Pro w/SP4 and all updates are current. The machine came to me from a friend because her email wasn't working. Checking into it the XP dll files were corrupted and chkdsk was running after every startup/ reboot of the OS. Ran a repair, updated to all current updates, and all seemed to be going well. Email (outlook 2003) worked etc. Ran Spybot, AdAware, and CCleaner to check for spyware, etc, (found nothing) and the system wasn't running chkdsk.
Then don't ask me what happened but after l left it alone for a few hours, I decided I'd run defrag before giving the machine back. WELL.. the stinking thing is back to it's old tricks. I get a msg from the OS that this dll or that dll has been corrupted and will run chkdsk upon reboot. Every Time. AaaGggHhhh
Any ideas before I throw it off a tall tall bldg?? :whistling:

Actual message I get from defrag is:
"defragmentation aborted due to inconsistencies that were detected in the filesystem. Please run CHKDSK or SCANDISK on C to repair these inconsistencies, then run Disk Defragmenter again. "
I'll get this msg minutes after a successful defrag has been performed or either a reboot w/ the chkdsk has ran.

Edited by wegitdelu, 21 July 2006 - 07:53 PM.

Advertisements