Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adobe Flash Player 9 + popups, and other stuff.

• Please log in to reply

yuukiri

yuukiri

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for taking your time out to read this!

I keep getting (even though I clean my computer constantly) about over 50 pop-ups a day when I'm online, even when I don't have a browser up. That's one problem, but another one I'm having is this constant pop-up Security Warning asking if I want to download Adobe Flash Player 9, and every time I click out of it with the X or click on 'No' it comes right back as soon as I click out of it for about three or four times, and some time later when it wants to take a break it comes right back repeating its behavior. It's the same for this Joystick thing...it's all very annoying, and I have downloaded and done everything to delete malware and I've been wanting to get SP2 for Windows XP but it has been stated I need to be sure my computer has no malware on it but I'm never sure. I got SP1 a few weeks ago but a short sometime later my computer said some unidentified files had downloaded themselves in my hard drive and I need to re-download XP. So I did with a CD-ROM, it's back to normal now, and I'm not sure if I still have SP1 or something...

I already made a post with my hijackthis! log a few weeks ago but I got no response so I'm going to re-run it again and make another post in the waiting room.

Well, I rambled on a bit. Thanks again. :whistling:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you keep getting mesagges popping up with no web-browser open, it could be the Messenger Service, a utility which MS included with Windows so people on an office network can send alert messages to one another. But it has for a long time been misused by commercial enterprises as a means of advertising. This is not the same as Windows or MSN Messenger.

Most users turn off this non-essential service as one of the first things they do in removing annoyances:
1.Start - Run - type SERVICES.MSC
2.Scroll down till you find Messenger, then double-click it.
3. Where it says "startup type', change it to 'disabled'
4. below that, click 'Stop' if it's available.
5. Click 'OK' to save the changes.

Now for the Service Packs. First off, you only need SP2 because that contains all the new fixes as well as all those from SP1, so you don't need them both. So it doesn't matter whether you think SP1 is installed or not. Just go ahead and install SP2, but please disable any antivirus software before doing so.

yuukiri

yuukiri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks a lot for your reply! :whistling: