Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost.exe errors

• Please log in to reply

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Have browsed this forum first to see if anyone else has had this specific problem but couldn't find anything - certainly plenty of horror stories tho!!

Mine isn't a horror story, just a little annoying. Everytime I open a Windows application (My Computer, My Documents, control Panel etc.) I receive the first error:

svchost.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled

Process id = 0xf58(3928)
Thread id = 0x604(1540)

I click on the Cancel button to debug and then the second error pops up:

svchost.exe - No Debugger Found

Registered JIT debugger is not available. An attempt to launch JIT debugger with the
following command resulted in an error code of 0x2(2)
Please check Computer Settings
cordbg.exe !a0x520

I have searched for this file and it doesn't appear to exist but wouldn't know how to check the settings.
I have used RegCure which is supposed to cure all svchost errors - it hasn't. Have used Tune Up which was recommended to me by Keith for a previous problem I had (and is an excellent utility) but again the problem still exists.

Once I cancel both these errors, the applications open without a problem. I know u guys are busy on here so no panic but look forward to hearing from you as and when.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks Keith, but I'm afraid I've done all that when following your advice from before and the errors remained. Have also carried out a Repair using the XP CD but to no avail.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got .net framework

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yes, I have Framework 1.1, 1.1 Hotfix & 2.0

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look at posts 1 and 2 here

http://www.pcreview....ead-1326003.php

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Will do

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Very detailed Keith which is good but also a little scary :) If I screw up will tune Up sort it out for me :whistling: I'm no whizz at all this and don't want to cause a disaster :help: Before I proceed, could I not just remove Framework 1.1 and the hotfix and let 2.0 take over?? :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you use add and remove to uninstall .net framework 1.1, also look for the hotfix, have show updates ticked at the top of add and remove, run disc clean up then click start then run, type prefetch, press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete and confirm

As is the way, some programmes run with 1.1 and some run with 2.0 so you will likely need to re-install 1.1 from Microsoft update

Check for the service pack and the hotfix

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks Keith - I was digesting all the info specific to JIT Debugger and was abit concerned about the following:

7. Once rebooted, go to Start | Run... type "%temp%" then click OK to get
into your Temp directory
8. Delete all contents of %temp%
9. Run the program dotnetfx.exe which can be found in the DotNetFramework
folder on the WCU CD or in the WCU\DotNetFramework folder if you're using
the DVD... this will manually kick off the Framework installation.

I have no WCU CD or DVD. So I'll follow your advice on using the Add/Remove program to uninstall Net Framework 1.1 along with the 1.1 Hotfix - yes?

Thank you for your patience and for all your help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Remove everything .net framework, run disc clean up, disc defragmenter then use Microsoft Update, optionals to re-install it

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
:whistling: Unfortunately, having followed your advice, the same errors occur :blink: Now at a loss as to what else I can do. I'm unable to pinpoint exactly when the damned errors started to appear. I regularly check my machine for viruses and spyware and it's always been clean. Feeling a little despondent :help:

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Not sure if Keith has given up with this problem but if anyone else has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry, it got overlooked

Do you run any programmes which need .net framework

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Keith, thank u for responding so quickly - Excuse my ignorance but I don't know what programmes use .NET Framework :whistling: