Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to access certain web sites

• Please log in to reply

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi all
I am at loss as to what is happening to my PC at present.
All was well until recently when I have been unable to access any accounts with spaces.msn.com/xx either by Windows Live Messenger or via IE6.
With IE6 I get "This page cannot be displayed" This happens to some other sites but not obviously "Geekstogo" thank goodness.
As I have updated MS, Defender, AVG automatically and Spysweeper on a regular basis these have not shown any problems to date.
I tried to revert to an earlier "Restore point" but was unable to successfully complete any point back three months""
I have also been unable upgrade to IE7 Beta successfully to see if IE6 was in some way blocking my web pages.

My PC does seem to be running slower and seems to be more resources hungry.

Please any help will be appreciated

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you tried cleaner your computer do the disk clean

try this .... http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Many thanks for your suggestion.

I had already tried a similar approach unsuccessfully.

As another option I followed your suggestion without success.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are one of the pages you cannot access http://www.pogo.com? Just curious because my Dad's girlfriend's computer had a problem where it couldn't access that site, among others.

Fenor

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
No to your question. I can access that site ok.
Mostly spaces.msn.com as in my original request for help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What happens when you try IE7

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
heres something to look at.

http://www.java.com/...elp/iecrash.xml

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi
Thanks for suggestions to date. Still having problems.
IE7 would not install correctly even though it appeared to download ok.
Have since installed Firefox to eleminate IE but no better. Instead of hanging up on "Transferring data from www......" in IE I get "Opening page....." in Firefox.
In both instances the initial link to the server appears to be made as the background for the different accounts in spaces.msn.com is recognisable.
The vast majority of all my browsing works perfectly.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hallo Keith

Weep weep

I have followed your advice to the letter, unfortunately no change!!

What a brilliant program Tune Up 2006 is, at least my PC loads quicker.

Two points

1 Is it possible that spaces.msn.com has blocked my access to their sites either by Windows Messenger Live or by the Browser? As a broadband user my address must have been recorded by them. I have never uploaded any questionable material to my sites which are mostly family orientated.

2 My problems seemed to start after I upgraded to Windows Messenger Live, I'm not completely sure about this but if I could revert to V 7.5 I would, can it be done?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could try registering another account at spaces.msn, though you may need to delete the cookie for it

If windows messenger live is in add and remove, uninstall it and try the previous version

Did IE7 give any error or reason why it won't install, for some reason it needs to change the home page during install and if you block this then it won't install

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hallo Keith
Many thanks for your patience.
I have deleted v8.0 of Messenger and installes v7.5 and attempted to set up a new spaces site.
This was followed by an email confirming the space was set up but when I tried to link to it to start changing priviliges etc. it hung up as before only this time the address bar showed in part "Access denied" which convinces me more and more that for some reason I am being blocked.
Re upgrading IE6 to IE7 there was a link at the end of the process to MS indicating a problem I think with the registry.

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hallo Keith

Just back from a short holiday.

Still have not resolved my problem with accessing my spaces.msn.com/..

As I still have Tune-up software loaded, today it did a maintainance routine and shortly afterwards my daily AVG run showed a Virus found in the Virus Vault called REG.EXE. Is it possible that this is a genuine Worm as indicated by AVG?

Regards

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hallo Keith
Surprise surprise MSN Spaces has started to connect again.
Apparently MSN is in the process of "Rolling out" a new version, of which I was unaware.
The new version does not seem to be as user friendly. Several questions still remain to be answered.
Why was I not able to browse to my sites on my own PC when I could at a friends?
Why were current users not informed that changes were afoot, In my case it meant a lot of frustation and and in the case of the people like yourself weasted effort.
Never the less I am extremely grateful for all the help I received.