Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer / file sharing not working

• Please log in to reply

dunebug81

dunebug81

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i have an HP desktop with winxp pro sp1 and a toshiba laptop with xp home sp2. after turning off norton on the laptop the desktop can share files with the laptop but not the other way around. I have a printer connected to the desktop and it prints no problem from the desktop but when i try to add that printer via the add a printer wizard it will not find the printer on the network. I have it shared and when i set up all the computers at work I was not having this problem. ive tried everything and nothing seems to work for me.

-greg

Edited by dunebug81, 23 July 2006 - 08:16 PM.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello dunebug81 and welcome to G2G,

I have a few quick questions and suggestions before we get started:

1. Have you already follwed this tutorial for File and Print Sharing?

2. You need to Upgrade you HP Desktop to Win XP Pro SP2?

3. Please give a clear description of what each PC can do for the following items:
A. Go to START -> RUN -> CMD and hit ok -> type in: ipconfig and hit enter -> copy down the <IP address>
B. Go to START -> RUN -> CMD and hit ok -> type in: ping <IP address from different pc> and hit enter ->Post your results.
C. Go to START -> RUN -> type in: \\<IP address from different pc> -> and hit OK -> Copy down Error
message and post it in your reply.
D. From the Windows XP desktop, click Start and then click Help and Support -> Under Pick a Help Topic,
click Networking and the Web ->Under Networking and the Web, click Fixing networking or Web
problems
-> In the details pane under Pick a task, click Diagnose network configuration and run
automated networking tests
->In the details pane under Network Diagnostics, click Scan your system -> In the details pane under Network Diagnostics, scan through the information provided, noting any items that indicate FAILED.

*NOTE*
<.....> referrs to the information preceeded in a previous step. do not include the <.....> when inputing to the command.