Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot to BIOS

• Please log in to reply

n0rthern

n0rthern

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello,

I recently bought components to assemble a new computer from scratch and have ran into a problem. When I press the power switch I can hear the speaker getting power (sounds like a "click") and the case/cpu fans boot up, but the monitor says no signal! The speaker doesn't beep either.

I have tried the methods posted in the pinned topic but with no luck.

Details on components:

Motherboard: MSI PM8M-V Via Socket 478 MicroATX Motherboard / Audio / Video / AGP 8x / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA
RAM: OCZ Value 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz / 1MB Cache / 533MHz FSB / Socket 478 / Processor with Fan
Case: Power Up 2525 Blue ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports

can anyone help? :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I am assuming you have a graphics card in the slot. I looked at the MB and from what i could see i could not find a builtin system speaker. That may be why you hear no beep. On a few computers i have built a bad hard drive stopped the computer from doing anything but turning the fans on. I would reset your video card or try another card. Bad memory can also cause this problem. You need to go thru all the hardware to find out if it is the MB that is bad. A minimal boot setup would be Mb, cpu&fan, known good graphics card, 1 stick of memory, a HD, and of course monitor-mouse-keyboard. Set it up on a pizza box and hook up a power supply and see if you can get to the bios. Piece by piece replace the hardware to see if you can boot. If everything has been tried then RMA the motherboard for another one. Out of 30 builds i have had only 1 MB that was bad and of course it was bought off Ebay.

SRX660

n0rthern

n0rthern

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks SRX, i will try this at home :whistling:

n0rthern

n0rthern

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts