Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with start up

• Please log in to reply

tracywm

tracywm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
everytime i turn on my computer in normal mode the screen sort of divides up in an elongated multicolor checkerboard pattern and individual pixels are flashing all over the place. After about a minute of this, the computer automatically restarts. This repeats over and over unless i select safe mode.

I can only operate it in safe mode. I have backed up important files on a removable hard drive and am considering reinstalling windows. unfortunately i will need to buy a new copy of xp since i have lost my cd, so i amhoping there may be other ways of solving this problem.

additionally, since i have recently moved, i do not have any of the install cds for my applications such as photoshop, microsoft office, some foreign language programs i use, etc. can i still keep my apps even if i reinstall windows?

thank you in advance!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try safe mode with networking for this

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

tracywm

tracywm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i cannot access the internet using the computer (i am on another computer now) i am not configured for the wireless network i have access to, and the computer won't open the netgear adapter program in safe mode with networking

the make and model of mycomputer is toshiba satellite 5705-s501

Edited by tracywm, 24 July 2006 - 07:42 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you know the make and model of video card, use this PC to download the drivers, save to CDR then install them on the other PC

If not, download, save and install Everest, then get the drivers

In safe mode with networking, open IE then type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press enter. You should get the netgear set up page, run basic set up if you do